Search: Posts made by: Doug Freyburger
Forum: Policy January 2nd 13, 03:43 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Space travel is hazardous to the brain

Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
"bob haller" wrote:

http://spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=39650
This is yet another reason to concentrate on ROBOTIC exploration

This is something known since...
Forum: Policy December 26th 12, 08:58 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
NASA moon-mapping mission to come to a crashing end

Alain Fournier wrote:
Fred J. McCall wrote:
bob haller wrote:

On Friday, thrusters on each satellite will fire to guide the
spacecraft toward the unnamed mountain....
Forum: Policy December 21st 12, 07:35 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Top-secret X-37B mini-shuttle mission lifts off from Cape Canaveral

Jeff Findley wrote:
says...

China *being* in space is a game changer. Commercial being in space is
a game changer. For totally different reasons.

Please tell me how...
Forum: Policy November 30th 12, 03:52 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
SSTO one step closer

Jeff Findley wrote:
says...

Reaction Engines completes precooler testing
http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/news_updates.html

Congrats on the precooler testing,...
Forum: Policy November 19th 12, 04:48 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Meet The Tiny Bomb-Wielding Spacecraft That Could Someday Save Our Species

Anthony Frost wrote:
wrote:
bob haller wrote:

blowing up asteroids is a bad idea creating much more debris over a
wider area, doing more damage than a...
Forum: Policy October 21st 12, 05:53 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Alpha Centauri anyone?

David Spain wrote:
Nun Giver wrote:

Perhaps its got some planets. Apparently a hot one anyway.

If it is a generation ship, I want a hot gal for the
long trip. Could people stay sane...
Forum: Policy October 11th 12, 06:28 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Is lightspeed really a limit?

Niklas Holsti wrote:

The explanation for the lightspeed limit that I was taught is that two
observers moving with a relative velocity larger than lightspeed could
disagree on the order of...
Forum: Policy September 26th 12, 07:08 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Elon Musk's new re-usable, hovering rocket ship in first test liftoff

Invid Fan wrote:
David Spain wrote:

It's going to be interesting to see how SpaceX approaches FAA
certification for this.

Any volcanos they can build a pad...
Forum: Policy September 21st 12, 04:22 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
About that old electromagnetic "stellar drive"

tyet tyt wrote:

the photon drive´s net efficiency is horribly low

That's the main issue with photon drives.

how much power do you put in to get a net thrust..

Because the units don't convert...
Forum: Policy September 18th 12, 08:49 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

wrote:

"A warp drive to achieve faster-than-light
travel — a concept popularized in television's
Star Trek — may not be as unrealistic as
once thought, scientists...
Forum: History August 30th 12, 11:32 PM Posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Neil Armstrong has Died

Rick Jones wrote:
"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:

But, when push comes to shove, they were doing a job. It was a LOT
of work. It wasn't just kick the...
Forum: History August 28th 12, 11:21 PM Posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Neil Armstrong has Died

Hg wrote:

Nothing can top being the first man to walk on the Moon - so quitting
being an astronaut would be the first thing I would have done as well.
Neil knew spaceflight is dangerous. I...
Forum: Policy August 27th 12, 05:11 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
10 Myths About Space Travel That Make Science Fiction Better

David Spain wrote:

Interesting mention of 2001: A Space Odyssey as the lone exception.

In the space arena, agreed. There are some others that approach. In
Bablyon 5 the Earth ships used...
Forum: Policy August 8th 12, 12:14 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Curiosity

Alan Erskine wrote:
AM, Fred J. McCall wrote:

Curiosity is a lot bigger than the previous landers. Without rockets
to slow it down down low, you get a smoking hole because you simply
Forum: Policy August 6th 12, 08:08 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Curiosity

Alan Erskine wrote:

Why didn't they just use bigger parachutes? Use the supersonic 'chute
to slow the vehicle down and then two or more large 'chutes for final
descent.

Weight of final...
Forum: Policy July 13th 12, 09:24 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
FARNBOROUGH: Virgin Galactic takes wraps off LauncherOne

Jeff Findley wrote:
says...
Rick Jones wrote:

I guess there wasn't enough in launching 6 people at a time on a
sub-orbital hop at $200K each? I guess the order of...
Forum: Policy July 13th 12, 05:07 PM Posted to sci.space.policy

Rick Jones wrote:

I guess there wasn't enough in launching 6 people at a time on a
sub-orbital hop at $200K each? I guess the order of magnitude
difference in price between 6 people going...
Forum: Policy June 28th 12, 08:32 PM Posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics
Posted By Doug Freyburger
How Life on Mars Will Be Revealed by Curiosity

Rick Jones wrote:
Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:

I have wondered about this. What's harder to hide? The launch
phase or the re-entry?

I'm guessing the...
Forum: Policy June 28th 12, 07:27 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Longest-Lived Mars Orbiter is Back in Service (Mars Odyssey)

wrote:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2012-189

Longest-Lived Mars Orbiter is Back in Service
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
June 27, 2012

Mission...
Forum: Policy June 22nd 12, 05:37 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Astronomers Discover Planetary Odd Couple (Kepler)

quoted:

Astronomers Discover Planetary Odd Couple
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
June 21, 2012
The inner planet, Kepler-36b, orbits its host star every 13.8 days,...
Forum: Policy June 14th 12, 06:28 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Giant Black Hole Kicked Out of Home Galaxy

Nun Giver wrote:
Doug Freyburger wrote:
quoted:

GIANT BLACK HOLE KICKED OUT OF HOME GALAXY

So what happened to the dozens of large black holes form all of the
Forum: Policy June 13th 12, 10:11 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Giant Black Hole Kicked Out of Home Galaxy

wrote:

RELEASE: 12-182

GIANT BLACK HOLE KICKED OUT OF HOME GALAXY

WASHINGTON -- Astronomers have found strong evidence that a massive
black hole is being ejected...
Forum: Policy June 12th 12, 10:33 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Does anyone doubt theres life beyond earth?

Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
"Doug Freyburger" wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:

Maybe if we were more intelligence we'd see ways, but here's the rub -
evolution gave us intelligence because...
Forum: Policy June 11th 12, 09:35 PM Posted to sci.space.policy
Posted By Doug Freyburger
Does anyone doubt theres life beyond earth?

Jeff Findley wrote:
says...

anyone? and why?

It appears that life emerged on Earth in its first billion years
probably even farther back than that. There are always doubts...
Forum: Policy June 11th 12, 07:34 PM Posted to sci.space.policy

Sylvia Else wrote:

Maybe if we were more intelligence we'd see ways, but here's the rub -
evolution gave us intelligence because it helped us survive a severe
drought in Africa, not so that...