Search: Posts made by: Davoud[_1_]
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 7th 19, 10:49 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
NASA never expected to have to re-position its drilling probe?

RichA:
Ever dig in soil and hit a rock? Seems NASA didn't expect it. Pretty
stupid.

Chris L Peterson:
First of all, NASA didn't design this probe. Second, it was entirely
expected that...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 7th 19, 05:49 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Canada Joins Lunar Gateway

Chris L Peterson:
I tend to believe that the U.S. is a failed (or failing) nation... a
problem that ultimately goes back to a flawed Constitution, one which
created the Senate, one which...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy March 5th 19, 11:10 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Canada Joins Lunar Gateway

Chris L Peterson:
In the end, it probably comes down to our sense of fairness, and our
sense of common identity.

I have not traditionally been a pessimist, but I am coming to believe
that our...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy January 22nd 19, 01:55 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
CERN plans to build what the U.S. should have 23 years ago

Ninapenda Jibini:

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Now *that* is some twisted ****!

you will say in your...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy January 10th 19, 11:35 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Mysterious radio signals from deep space detected

Martin Brown:
There may be only one way of opening up a wormhole near a black hole and
this is the RF emission signature it produces.

Yes, simple enough. Some beings have figured out how to...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 27th 18, 01:11 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Let's Photograph Comet 46P Wirtanen

Paul Schlyter:
No he wouldn't. My local eye doctor wouldn't even say 20/30, she
would say 0.67 perhaps rounding it to 0.7 - as would most European
eye doctors. The 20/xx stuff is an American...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 26th 18, 04:05 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Let's Photograph Comet 46P Wirtanen

Paul Schlyter:
But if the distance is irrelevant, why not perform the division
and say 0.67 instead of 20/30? Or at least 2/3 instead of 20/30?
After all it means that the person...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 24th 18, 02:26 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Let's Photograph Comet 46P Wirtanen

Paul Schlyter:
If the numerator is always 20, what does this 20 mean? Is 20/20 in
some way different from, say, 25/25 or.30/30?

20/20, or metric 6/6 = 1. It's explained...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 24th 18, 02:45 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
earth tilt to 45 deg?

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn:
No. It is incorrect, although arguably poetic, to describe motion in
vacuum
as “floating”. Floating requires a substance to float on (e.g. water)
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 23rd 18, 01:09 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Let's Photograph Comet 46P Wirtanen

hleopold:
...Always a joy to see your photos, David, I look forward to more in the future.
I mostly read here, hardly ever comment. Not to mention I am jealous of your
set-up, though not of...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 22nd 18, 08:15 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
earth tilt to 45 deg?

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn:
No. It is incorrect, although arguably poetic, to describe motion in vacuum
as “floating”. Floating requires a substance to float on (e.g. water) or
in (e.g....
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 19th 18, 11:22 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Let's Photograph Comet 46P Wirtanen

hleopold:
That is very nice. Is it that green in reality, or as close to reality as we
normally get?

Chris L Peterson:
Well, "reality" is that this isn't bright enough to stimulate color
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 19th 18, 11:19 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Let's Photograph Comet 46P Wirtanen

Davoud on 18 December:
Tonight's result with details is at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/32503667868.

hleopold:
That is very nice. Is it that green in reality, or as close to...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 19th 18, 11:10 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Let's Photograph Comet 46P Wirtanen

Davoud:
Tonight's result with details is at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/32503667868.

palsing:
Well, I'm impressed!

\Paul A

Your kind words about my shabby little...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 19th 18, 03:43 AM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Let's Photograph Comet 46P Wirtanen

Chris L Peterson:
http://cloudbait.com/gallery/comet/20181217_46P_800.jpg

Shot early this morning after the Moon went down, 2-minute exposure
with a Canon 7D on a 4" refractor...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 18th 18, 10:15 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Let's Photograph Comet 46P Wirtanen

Chris L Peterson:
http://cloudbait.com/gallery/comet/20181217_46P_800.jpg

Shot early this morning after the Moon went down, 2-minute exposure
with a Canon 7D on a 4" refractor (Stellarvue...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 17th 18, 07:09 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Let's Photograph Comet 46P Wirtanen

46P/Wirtanen: https://www.flickr.com/photos/primeval/31330206277

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at*...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 12th 18, 11:42 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
46P, can't see

Martin Brown:
BTW the comet is now quite bright and an easy binocular object about
half the size of the moon in a dark sky. It should get brighter with
each passing day and will be pretty...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 12th 18, 10:07 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
46P, can't see

Paul Schlyter:
That's one good reason to avoid buying American cars... but yes, I do
have two sets of drill bits, one metric and one in inches.

?? American-built cars have used metric measure...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 12th 18, 10:02 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
46P, can't see

Paul Schlyter:
I see. You are stuck with that outdated inefficient system of units
of feet and inches. While the rest of the world has gone metric, the
USA, Burma and Liberia prefer to stick...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 9th 18, 06:06 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Lat/Long and timekeeping system for Mars

Quadibloc:
It's true that a travelling geographer will indeed just get flown to, oh,
say,
Lima. But if his real destination is Machu Picchu, he will still have to
travel
by means...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 8th 18, 11:48 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Lat/Long and timekeeping system for Mars

Paul Schlyter:
It's an interesting fact that modern professional astronomers rarely
know the constellations. They don't need to since they just dial in
the coordinates of the object they want...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 7th 18, 04:47 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Lat/Long and timekeeping system for Mars

Paul Schlyter:
You can use the sky itself as a sidereal clock by finding out on
which RA your local meridian is.

When I was teaching myself to program in BASIC in the early 80's the
first...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 7th 18, 04:15 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Lat/Long and timekeeping system for Mars

Davoud:
*Figuratively speaking. Due to macular degeneration I do not look
through telescopes any more.

Paul Schlyter:
Don't you look at the sky with your naked eyes either anymore?

I do,...
Forum: Amateur Astronomy December 5th 18, 06:00 PM Posted to sci.astro.amateur
Posted By Davoud[_1_]
Lat/Long and timekeeping system for Mars

Davoud:
I must confess that I have never heard of a "sidereal hour;"

Paul Schlyter:
Then you haven't computed the local altitude or azimuth for a
celestial object either, or it's rise and...