-   Policy (http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Japanese can't get their maths right, Venus probe lost (http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=165204)

Anonymous Remailer (austria) December 10th 10 10:07 AM

Japanese can't get their maths right, Venus probe lost

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1012/08akatsuki/

"We have found that the orbiter was not injected into the planned orbit
as a result of orbit estimation,"

In other words: we didn't get the maths right and fired the thrusters
at the wrong time...

This is simply embarrasing! Why didn't they ask NASA or ESA to verify
their calculations? Now they'll have to wait six more years for another
attempt and it's unlikely the craft will still be functioning then.

Sylvia Else[_2_] December 10th 10 11:40 AM

On 10/12/2010 9:07 PM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1012/08akatsuki/

"We have found that the orbiter was not injected into the planned orbit
as a result of orbit estimation,"

In other words: we didn't get the maths right and fired the thrusters
at the wrong time...

This is simply embarrasing! Why didn't they ask NASA or ESA to verify
their calculations? Now they'll have to wait six more years for another
attempt and it's unlikely the craft will still be functioning then.

Nothing there to suggest faulty maths. The orbit estimation they're
referring to relates to the trajectory it is now following. More likely
some technical malfunction during the burn.

Sylvia.

Pat Flannery December 10th 10 03:18 PM

On 12/10/2010 2:07 AM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1012/08akatsuki/

"We have found that the orbiter was not injected into the planned orbit
as a result of orbit estimation,"

In other words: we didn't get the maths right and fired the thrusters
at the wrong time...

This is simply embarrasing! Why didn't they ask NASA or ESA to verify
their calculations? Now they'll have to wait six more years for another
attempt and it's unlikely the craft will still be functioning then.

It could just be that the orbital entry engine burn shut down early.
I wouldn't ask NASA to give me any advice about how to put a spacecraft
into planetary orbit after the Mars Climate Orbiter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

Pat

Sylvia Else[_2_] December 11th 10 01:17 AM

On 11/12/2010 2:18 AM, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 12/10/2010 2:07 AM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1012/08akatsuki/

"We have found that the orbiter was not injected into the planned orbit
as a result of orbit estimation,"

In other words: we didn't get the maths right and fired the thrusters
at the wrong time...

This is simply embarrasing! Why didn't they ask NASA or ESA to verify
their calculations? Now they'll have to wait six more years for another
attempt and it's unlikely the craft will still be functioning then.

It could just be that the orbital entry engine burn shut down early.
I wouldn't ask NASA to give me any advice about how to put a spacecraft
into planetary orbit after the Mars Climate Orbiter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

Pat

Fair's fair - they were hampered by using a system of units developed in
the dark ages.

Sylvia.

Damon Hill[_4_] December 11th 10 05:08 AM

Japanese can't get their maths right, Venus probe lost

Pat Flannery wrote in
dakotatelephone:

On 12/10/2010 2:07 AM, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n1012/08akatsuki/

"We have found that the orbiter was not injected into the planned orbit
as a result of orbit estimation,"

In other words: we didn't get the maths right and fired the thrusters
at the wrong time...

This is simply embarrasing! Why didn't they ask NASA or ESA to verify
their calculations? Now they'll have to wait six more years for another
attempt and it's unlikely the craft will still be functioning then.

It could just be that the orbital entry engine burn shut down early.
I wouldn't ask NASA to give me any advice about how to put a spacecraft
into planetary orbit after the Mars Climate Orbiter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

That's what the most recent reports suggest: propellants transitioned
to oxidizer rich, damaging the engine nozzle, and threw the spacecraft
off balance. Possibly a problem with helium pressurization, similar
to problems with the Nozumi Mars probe.

At any rate, it's looking more and more like the main Venus mission is
lost because the propulsion system is nearly useless.

--Damon

Dan Birchall[_3_] December 16th 10 01:48 PM

Japanese can't get their maths right, Venus probe lost

(Anonymous Remailer (austria)) wrote:
This is simply embarrasing! Why didn't they ask NASA or ESA to verify
their calculations?

Yeah! Remember the great course-calculation triumphs of NASA's Mars
Climate Orbiter and ESA's Beagle 2! ;)

And if you want to talk Venus, read Wiki's page on Russia's Venera
series probes. Took 'em 12 tries to actually get something to Venus
and have it still work.

Apparently lobbing things at other planets is a little "hit or miss,"
to borrow an all-too-appropriate expression.

-Dan, unsure what this has to do with policy anyway.

--
[email protected] | Dan Birchall - Observation System Associate - Subaru Telescope.
naoj | Views I express are my own, obviously not those of my employer.

Doug Freyburger December 16th 10 03:26 PM

Dan Birchall wrote:

Apparently lobbing things at other planets is a little "hit or miss,"
to borrow an all-too-appropriate expression.

No correlation with the fact that "rocket science" is a popular synonym
for "hard to do". ;^)

Brad Guth[_3_] December 19th 10 06:07 AM

On Dec 16, 7:26*am, Doug Freyburger wrote:
Dan Birchall wrote:

Apparently lobbing things at other planets is a little "hit or miss,"
to borrow an all-too-appropriate expression.

No correlation with the fact that "rocket science" is a popular synonym
for "hard to do". *;^)

We have multiple spendy public-funded supercomputers including all the
necessary 3D interactive simulators, so it it actually is fairly easy.

We also have overwhelmingly powerful microwave transmitters that can
pretty much foil any probe at the push of a button.

~ BG