-   Amateur Astronomy (http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Christmas Story Video updated for astronomical dates. 15 BC (-14) (http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=204062)

Tony Lance[_13_] July 17th 14 12:07 AM

Christmas Story Video updated for astronomical dates. 15 BC (-14)

15 BC (-14) Planets Gather without Jupiter (Xmas IV) MP
BCE/CE Video Disclaimer
SkyX does not use zero so 60 BCE (-60)
NASA uses zero so 60 BC (-59)
BBC adopted BCE/CE in 2011 so no zero.
For astronomical dates ignore minus sign and use BC.
Do this for this whole video, with apologies.
Special dates are given in full format.
http://youtu.be/k5yiR_oOXKY

Quadibloc July 18th 14 08:49 PM

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 5:07:39 PM UTC-6, Tony Lance wrote:

SkyX does not use zero so 60 BCE (-60)
NASA uses zero so 60 BC (-59)

I take it this post is to advise us some of the dates in your video are one day out, because you used sources that used different conventions for dates.

1 AD and 1 CE are the same year, and 1 BC and 1 BCE are also both the same year, the one immediately preceding.

If signed dates are used, -59 is 60 BCE since with signed dates zero is used, at least I think that is the convention generally accepted. It's not clear from your post if the error was your own in making the video and reading the sources wrongly, or if some of the sources were in error as they did not use the appropriate convention for their date format.

John Savard

Quadibloc July 18th 14 08:50 PM

On Friday, July 18, 2014 1:49:59 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:

I take it this post is to advise us some of the dates in your video are one day out,

Oops; one year out, of course.

John Savard