-   Amateur Astronomy (http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Follow the line (http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=226177)

Gerald Kelleher March 6th 19 10:18 PM

Follow the line

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/11353

This is where celestial sphere enthusiasm and modeling gets you all - a monstrosity that offers nothing but intellectual damnation.

Quadibloc March 6th 19 11:53 PM

Follow the line

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 3:18:49 PM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/11353

This is where celestial sphere enthusiasm and modeling gets you all - a
monstrosity that offers nothing but intellectual damnation.

That is indeed an unusual orientation for a view "from space". The Sun doesn't
bounce up and down.

So the pattern of light on the Earth is shown... with the camera being oriented in a constant direction from the viewpont of people on Earth.

While this makes a point, the page is about the "reason" for the seasons, not
merely the facts of the seasons. If there were a series of Mercator maps showing
times of sunrise and sunset for the year, the fact that the continents would be
in the same place on all of them, and the colored overprinting showing night and
twilight changes would not be remarkable.

But this *appears* to show how things look _from space_, not _on Earth_, and so
you indeed have a valid point that it can be misleading in some respects.

Instead, they should have begun with photographs where the direction of the Sun
is consistent, or even diagrams showing the Earth moving from one side of the
Sun to the other, and only then go to the rotated versions of the photos.

John Savard

Gerald Kelleher March 8th 19 10:31 AM

Follow the line

The tsunami of websites carrying RA/Dec modeling within the last few years is quite a spectacle. The seasons are a result of two surface rotations to the Sun acting in combinations yet because celestial sphere software has emerged as a dominant tool, the descriptions have followed suit when I thought it was simply an anomaly by a NASA technician.

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily...-seasonal.html

The Moon's circle of illumination always runs parallel with the Earth's as the axiom is that the circle of illumination is always at a right angle to the orbital plane -

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/system/...Earth_Moon.jpg

How a society strayed into something worse than a flat Earth ideology should occupy the efforts of many people who can exercise their basic intuitive qualities to recognise what is beautiful from what is absurd.

An Earth with a zero degree inclination and a pivoting circle of illumination as a dynamic turns the mind to stone yet it is supported as though it was actual !. I thought people would at least have some pride in astronomy left but this will mark our era as the worst if it remains unchallenged.

Quadibloc March 8th 19 01:46 PM

Follow the line

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 3:31:58 AM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:
The seasons are a result of two surface rotations to the Sun acting in combinations

And we've all turned to stone because we phrase it differently, we call it the
combination of the Earth's rotation with the change in the direction to the Sun
caused by the Earth's orbit around the Sun. That way we don't have to have the
Earth's rotation slowing down and speeding up.

John Savard