-   Astro Pictures (http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Good-bye (http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=222326)

WA0CKY December 26th 17 06:50 PM

Good-bye

After this site has constantly deleted my posts and NEVER NEVER NEVER replied to my requests as to why they are deleting them I quit using this site a while back. Not as far back as the last post, you see and the last one was deleted as well. I expect this one to be deleted as well.

Those following me can still find the posts on Cloudy Nights, CCD/CMOS Astro Camera Imaging & Processing form https://www.cloudynights.com/forum/7...ng-processing/ They don't delete my posts but don't echo to USENET. Unlike most other astronomy forums you can see the images without joining but must join to reply. I'm working on getting my entire collection of 1500+ images online. A super herculean task but hope to have something going soon. I'll announce that on the Cloudy Nights forum mentioned above.

Rick

Mandy Liefbowitz December 27th 17 10:02 PM

Good-bye

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 17:50:55 +0000, WA0CKY
wrote:

After this site

Which site?

I'm reading your messages through the Usenet newsgroup. Will I still
be seeing them? If not, then there's probably no reason for me to
bother with Usenet anymore.

has constantly deleted my posts and NEVER NEVER NEVER
replied to my requests as to why they are deleting them I quit using
this site a while back. Not as far back as the last post, you see and
the last one was deleted as well. I expect this one to be deleted as
well.

Those following me can still find the posts on Cloudy Nights, CCD/CMOS
Astro Camera Imaging & Processing form http://tinyurl.com/ya4x473b

Nope. Websites are too much like hard work. If that is your only
dumpsite and if you aren't echoing to Usenet, then g'bye.

They
don't delete my posts but don't echo to USENET. Unlike most other
astronomy forums you can see the images without joining but must join to
reply. I'm working on getting my entire collection of 1500+ images
online. A super herculean task but hope to have something going soon.
I'll announce that on the Cloudy Nights forum mentioned above.

I'd be sorry to see you go from Usenet, but all things seem to end.
Thank you for all of the pretties.
Mand.

Rick

Anders Eklöf December 28th 17 09:16 AM

Good-bye

Hey Rick

What do you mean by "this site"?
Usenet is not a site. it's a global network of sorts.
And usenet doesn't delete your posts. Easynews certainly doesn't.
(i see uou post throu Easynews)

Just for a test I just retreived your post of the Necklace from
2011-08-12 (your first?) - from Easynews.
How is that even possible if your posts get deleted?

Usenet service providers (USPs) practise retention on large groups,
Because of the sheer volume of binary groups in general, they either
expire posts after some given time limit - at most 1-2 years, like
Easynews, often much less - or put a volume cap on the largest groups,
or a combination. Most serious USPs apply different limits on different
groups. This group seems unaffected by any limit.
However, I don't see any posts in the group on their web interface.

As for this group, my USP has retained posts as far back as August,
2008, including 530 of your posts over the last 6+ years. Is anything
missing?

Makes me wonder who you have been asking. Your USP?
They should have been able to give an answer similar to the above.

CCD/CMOSAstro Camera Imaging & Processing form http://tinyurl.com/ya4x473b
Theydon't delete my posts but don't echo to USENET. Unlike most
otherastronomy forums you can see the images without joining but must join
toreply. I'm working on getting my entire collection of 1500+
imagesonline. A super herculean task but hope to have something going
soon. I'll announce that on the Cloudy Nights forum mentioned above.

Rick-- WA0CKY

--
I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour

Anders Eklöf December 28th 17 09:26 AM

Good-bye

Anders Eklöf wrote:

However, I don't see any posts in the group on their web interface.

Which, BTW, I think is because you use uuencode for your binaries, and
Easynews probably only decodes yenc to the web interface.

That may be why you don't see your posts. You should see them with Agent
(mark the group as unread, that's is what I did).

Mandy Liefbowitz December 29th 17 05:56 PM

Good-bye

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 09:26:04 +0100, (Anders
Eklöf) wrote:

Anders Eklöf wrote:

However, I don't see any posts in the group on their web interface.

Unfortunately, as with loads of other Usenet providers, Easynet don't
let us use their web-interface without joining up.
I really miss Deja-News.
Maybe also Dejah Thoris. But that's probably off-topic.

Which, BTW, I think is because you use uuencode for your binaries, and
Easynews probably only decodes yenc to the web interface.

That may be why you don't see your posts. You should see them with Agent
(mark the group as unread, that's is what I did).

I see the posts with Agent. I have it set to auto-display the images
inside the message window as well as to save them to a directory.
Agent is cool. It's about the best argument for keeping a Windows
box.
Mand.

slilge December 31st 17 07:28 PM

Rick,

so I'll visit the cloudy nights CCD forum more often now.
I guess newsgroups are a bit of a prehistoric thing by now...

Stefan

Quote:

Originally Posted by WA0CKY (Post 1343596)

Mandy Liefbowitz January 7th 18 12:53 AM

Good-bye

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 21:02:42 +0000, Mandy Liefbowitz
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 17:50:55 +0000, WA0CKY
wrote:

After this site

Which site?

Well, it looks like either I'm not propagating properly, the original
poster has me spam-blocked, the OP doesn't read Usenet, he's very busy
or he can't be bothered replying.
I guess I'll never know which, so I'll assume the worst, he hates me,
has spam-blocked me and can't be bothered replying to something like
me.

I haven't seen any images since I asked the question in my post, so I
assume he's not sending to Usenet any more.

A little tear may not be excessive.
Mand.

WA0CKY January 9th 18 10:19 AM

I don't use or read USENET. The forum I'm posting to is SpaceBanter. They do copy posts to USENET but it is SpaceBanter that deletes posts. Sometimes quickly sometimes weeks later. It's users of SpaceBanter that are yelling at me for deleting posts and URLs they have bookmarked. I spend too much time reposting lost URLs. CloudyNights doesn't delete posts at will like SpaceBanter. They don't crosspost to USENET so follow me in the CCD/CMOS forum at CloudyNights if you wish. I respond to all posts there and Private Messages. You do have to join to post either but not follow me. No cost to join. Latest: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6...r-this-winter/

Rick

Mandy Liefbowitz January 11th 18 07:38 AM

Good-bye

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 09:19:20 +0000, WA0CKY
wrote:

I don't use or read USENET. The forum I'm posting to is SpaceBanter.
They do copy posts to USENET but it is SpaceBanter that deletes posts.
Sometimes quickly sometimes weeks later. It's users of SpaceBanter that
are yelling at me for deleting posts and URLs they have bookmarked. I
spend too much time reposting lost URLs. CloudyNights doesn't delete
posts at will like SpaceBanter. They don't crosspost to USENET so
follow me in the CCD/CMOS forum at CloudyNights if you wish. I respond
to all posts there and Private Messages. You do have to join to post
either but not follow me. No cost to join. Latest:
http://tinyurl.com/ya7cez55

Rick

Hi,
thank you for your nice, kind and considerate reply.
Sorry, but I don't do websites for things like Usenet, not even
Google groups. Once, a long way back in the darkness of pre-history, I
liked Deja-news but they went away (became the all-consuming Google)
so I reverted back to Usenet by way of Agent.
It's a phobia or something.
Old age, maybe.
I liked your pretties and I'll miss them.
Thank you for all of the work you've done brightening our lives for
so many years. It was appreciated.
Hugs,
Mand.

Brian November 13th 18 02:26 PM

Good-bye

Eklöf) wrote:

Anders Eklöf wrote:

However, I don't see any posts in the group on their web interface.

Unfortunately, as with loads of other Usenet providers, Easynet don't
let us use their web-interface without joining up.
I really miss Deja-News.
Maybe also Dejah Thoris. But that's probably off-topic.

Which, BTW, I think is because you use uuencode for your binaries, and
Easynews probably only decodes yenc to the web interface.

That may be why you don't see your posts. You should see them with Agent
(mark the group as unread, that's is what I did).

I see the posts with Agent. I have it set to auto-display the images
inside the message window as well as to save them to a directory.
Agent is cool. It's about the best argument for keeping a Windows
box.

It's been almost a year since this post was made, I was just cleaning
up some inactive folders in my Agent setup - but if you're still
reading, you might like to know that Agent works just fine under Linux
and WINE, the only part of it which doesn't work is the help pages.
I'm currently using Agent 8 running Ubuntu 18.04.

Brian.
--
This message has been sent from an invalid address
Replace 'Usenetposting' with my name to reply by e-mail.