-   History (http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Japanese Moon probe to impact tomorrow (http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=139834)

Bob Haller June 12th 09 11:37 AM

Japanese Moon probe to impact tomorrow

imagine if they had just left it to detoriate and crash into the
apollo 11 landimg site

rhw007 June 13th 09 01:51 AM

Japanese Moon probe to impact tomorrow

The LRO set to launch soon will be a LONG-TERM mission. Slelene COULD
have been one using ion engines and a more proper orbit, or maybe a
few million more yen$. To intentionally build our robots to fail is a
re-hashing and re-manufacturing 'myth' that we can't build ANYTHING to
last longer than 6 months. I reject that outright. Our engineers
need to think and use long lasting material that stands the rigors of
space, and we MUST begin my SHARING what DARPA knows with Academic
Scientists. Otherwise we WILL be screwed when we cross the plane of
the Milky Way Galaxy in 3 years. Earth will look like Mars.

Bah...even the Soviets won't OPENLY at east put a Lunar Orbiter up, I
quess we should be lucky that NASA is putting one up AFTER the X-37B
test flight.

Bob... :D
http://www.mycommonsensepolitics.net

Pat Flannery June 13th 09 06:24 AM

Japanese Moon probe to impact tomorrow

OM wrote:

...Did anyone else's Guthball detector go off when this guy started
posting here?

I still think "Marvin The Martian" is "Space Bombardment Force" under a
new name.
The whole argument style is _very_ similar.
BTW, although far crazier than rhw007, Brad Guth - the very platinum
meter bar of posting craziness, kept somewhere in Geneva in a
nitrogen-filled padded vault - also _spells_ a lot better than rhw007.
"Mi naim is Bond, Jamse Bond." ;-)

Pat

Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) June 13th 09 12:38 PM

"bob haller" wrote in message
imagine if they had just left it to detoriate and crash into the
apollo 11 landimg site

Given the odds, I expect they'd all go out and buy lottery tickets the next
day.

A) the odds of hitting a particular spot on a smooth sphere of that size is
EXTREMELY small.

B) Now, figure the odds of impacting the plain of Mare Tranquillitatis and
NOT hitting a peak on the way is even smaller.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

BradGuth June 13th 09 02:45 PM

On Jun 12, 3:37*am, bob haller wrote:
imagine if they had just left it to detoriate and crash into the
apollo 11 landimg site

You mean the Apollo 11 impact site. If there were a landing sire, as
such there should have be a number of bright and very shiny items that
would have made it easy for the Apollo mission to have recorded a very
bright 10 meter pixel that marked the exact spot, or as of the last 4
months at 50 km would have made that a 5 meter pixel.

~ BG

BradGuth June 13th 09 02:59 PM

On Jun 12, 5:51*pm, rhw007 wrote:
The LRO set to launch soon will be a LONG-TERM mission. *Slelene COULD
have been one using ion engines and a more proper orbit, or maybe a
few million more yen$. *To intentionally build our robots to fail is a
re-hashing and re-manufacturing 'myth' that we can't build ANYTHING to
last longer than 6 months. *I reject that outright. *Our engineers
need to think and use long lasting material that stands the rigors of
space, and we MUST begin my SHARING what DARPA knows with Academic
Scientists. *Otherwise we WILL be screwed when we cross the plane of
the Milky Way Galaxy in 3 years. *Earth will look like Mars.

Bah...even the Soviets won't OPENLY at east put a Lunar Orbiter up, I
quess we should be lucky that NASA is putting one up AFTER the X-37B
test flight.

Bob... :Dhttp://www.mycommonsensepolitics.net

The Soviets also lost all of their R&D pertaining to fly-by-rocket
landers, Guess if you were a rocket scientist of that era, being
unable to document whatever prototypes and their terrestrial fly-by-
rocket testing was the exact same problem that our DARPA and NASA had.

~ BG