-   Astronomy Misc (http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Gravity (http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=227963)

Elassoto February 5th 21 03:22 PM

Gravity

Gravity is strange. We are constantly being accelerated outward from the Earth at 1G (of course). This means that we are being constantly being sucked into a spacetime "vortex", and being held back by the solid ground under our feet. Although we have the sensation of not moving at all because of the mass of the Earth, spacetime has a different point of view. It says you are being accelerated.

What's my point? Well for one, never take your perspective for granted.

Michael Dworetsky February 7th 21 01:04 PM

Gravity

On 05/02/2021 15:22, Elassoto wrote:
Gravity is strange. We are constantly being accelerated outward from the
Earth at 1G (of course). This means that we are being constantly being
sucked into a spacetime "vortex", and being held back by the solid
ground under our feet. Although we have the sensation of not moving at
all because of the mass of the Earth, spacetime has a different point of
view. It says you are being accelerated.

What's my point? Well for one, never take your perspective for granted.

We all hope that you meant to say accelerated inward, otherwise it would
mean that we are all leaving Earth behind and flying off into space.

Not so much accelerated inward, but held in position on the surface by a
balance of forces, gravity downward, and an opposing upward force of the
resistance by a solid surface.

I never take my perspective for granted, so that's OK then.

--
Mike Dworetsky

Elassoto May 11th 21 03:43 PM

True.

So there are two types of acceleration. It can be caused by attraction, such as magnetism, gravity, suction, etc. It can also be caused by being pushed, as in a car or rocket.

The sensation we feel by gravity is attraction, but I am told that it is not really molecular attraction. It is caused by the effect of matter on space. For some reason no one understands, matter warps space/time in a way which causes matter to be attracted to itself.

Quote: