-   Astro Pictures (http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   astro: m3 (http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=120920)

John N. Gretchen III April 20th 08 11:15 PM

astro: m3

1 Attachment(s)
First light, new camera...
Guess I can't complain about the moon at least the sky was clear enough
to try out the QHY8, http://www.qhyccd.com/QHY8.html
It is pretty nice, well made, good price.
The mk69 needs collimating and I worked on the mount after this imaging
session so next time out it should track better.

10x300 seconds
Intes MK-69 (6" f/6 Mak-Cass 900mm fl)
Vixen Sphinx SXD Mount
QHY8

full res cropped version here,
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3/observatory/m3_full.jpg

--
John N. Gretchen III
N5JNG NCS304

Rick Johnson[_3_] April 21st 08 03:32 PM

astro: m3

John N. Gretchen III wrote:

First light, new camera...
Guess I can't complain about the moon at least the sky was clear enough
to try out the QHY8, http://www.qhyccd.com/QHY8.html
It is pretty nice, well made, good price.
The mk69 needs collimating and I worked on the mount after this imaging
session so next time out it should track better.

10x300 seconds
Intes MK-69 (6" f/6 Mak-Cass 900mm fl)
Vixen Sphinx SXD Mount
QHY8

full res cropped version here,
http://www.tisd.net/~jng3/observatory/m3_full.jpg

That's an interesting new camera. I've seen some good stuff taken with
it on other forums. Did you get the CCD-Labs version or the Starzonia
version. Seems to be a big debate on which is better that boils down to
very little difference that I can see. CCD-Labs uses argon and
Starzonia uses dry nitrogen to fill the CCD chamber to prevent frost. I
see no difference in the images though argon has better thermal
properties if I recall my chemistry days correctly. Don't think the
difference material however.

I guess I'd like to see thermal control rather than just running at -45C
below ambient or whatever it achieves. Though its dark current is
extremely low so that doesn't appear a big issue. Most don't even use
darks, just hot pixel removal.

So after one image how do you like it?

Rick

John N. Gretchen III April 22nd 08 01:38 AM

astro: m3

The full moon makes it hard to give a full assessment. This one came
from Starzonia. I have assured by the owner of the company that makes it
that the frosting problem has been fixed.