-   Satellites (http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   I saw something! (http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=103626)

galwacco July 6th 07 12:24 PM

I saw something!

Hey Folks!

I got a question! I live in southern Brazil, declination 27. As I was
driving to work, I looked at the sky and I saw an object of aparent
magnitude of 3 bouncing to 2, it was no star , for it was 7:55am,
which in this season, is broad daylight already, and its magnitude
kept changing, I believe, because of its movement that reflect the sun
differently.

The object was moving quite fast at my zenith towards northwest, when
I called my wife's atention to look at it, it was gone.

The thing is, I've seen quite a few satelites already, and they move
waaaay too fast, this object too almost 20 seconds to disapear from my
sight.

My question is, is it possible to see our satelites or the ISS on
broad day light? If not, what exactly would that be?

William R Thompson July 6th 07 04:19 PM

I saw something!

"galwacco" wrote:

My question is, is it possible to see our satelites or the ISS on
broad day light? If not, what exactly would that be?

It sounds like you saw an Iridium flare. Some of then are
bright enough to see in the daytime. Heavens-above.com
can give you a list of times and locations, if you log onto
that page.

--Bill Thompson

galwacco July 6th 07 05:49 PM

I saw something!

On Jul 6, 12:19 pm, "William R Thompson"
wrote:
"galwacco" wrote:
My question is, is it possible to see our satelites or the ISS on
broad day light? If not, what exactly would that be?

It sounds like you saw an Iridium flare. Some of then are
bright enough to see in the daytime. Heavens-above.com
can give you a list of times and locations, if you log onto
that page.

--Bill Thompson

Hmmmm! I take that!! COOOL!! Thank you Bill!!

DougD July 10th 07 03:49 AM

I saw something!

In article .com, galwacco wrote:
Hey Folks!

I got a question! I live in southern Brazil, declination 27. As I was
driving to work, I looked at the sky and I saw an object of aparent
magnitude of 3 bouncing to 2, it was no star , for it was 7:55am,
which in this season, is broad daylight already, and its magnitude
kept changing, I believe, because of its movement that reflect the sun
differently.

The object was moving quite fast at my zenith towards northwest, when
I called my wife's atention to look at it, it was gone.

The thing is, I've seen quite a few satelites already, and they move
waaaay too fast, this object too almost 20 seconds to disapear from my
sight.

My question is, is it possible to see our satelites or the ISS on
broad day light? If not, what exactly would that be?

I would say that it was probably an Iridium flare. The timing sounds about
right, and they can be seen in daylight. Heaven's Above web sight is great
for tracking and spotting these sats. If you can get your hands on a GPS,
you can get a customized projection that looks ahead for months, for both
daylight and evening. Because they depend on sunlight, they are typically
brightest after sunset and before dawn. The brightest magnitude for these
is -9, I've only seen what has been predicted as a -9 a few times, but
anything from about -4 to -8 can be pretty spectacular at night. They are
also fairly senstive to your position, so using the prediction software and
sticking to one observing area works best. Their software also allows you to
save multiple sighting area's, so you can have one for work, home, one
for a friend on the other side of the world, etc. I turned into an "Iridium
Junkie" about 8 years ago, and I've got about 12 friends out now bitten
by the same bug. It's kinda fun to know exactly when one will be overhead
and grab some friends or neighbors and tell them to follow your hand
across the sky, and when the sat flares, well, it can sure lead to a lot of
interesting questions!
Good luck, I hope you continue to enjoy them and get a chance to
at least see one in darkness, they can be very impressive!

D.

Skywise July 10th 07 04:50 AM

I saw something!

Doug? Didn't I just see you somewhere else on usenet?

"Small world syndrome"

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

DougD July 10th 07 07:58 AM

I saw something!

In article , Skywise wrote:
Doug? Didn't I just see you somewhere else on usenet?

"Small world syndrome"

Brian

Hey, what can I say?! Lasers, Iridiums, it's all kinda lumped together...
Actually, I got started in the Iridium stuff when my biz partner in LA
got the contract for the worldwide Iridium "road show", and I helped
him out on some of the lighting, etc. After spotting my first one about
5 years ago, I've been bitten. I've even got about 20-30 different dig.
video clips of flares that I shot both here in Canada and from where
I was living in Mpls. Now that takes some dedication, as well as
some humilty for being seen pointing a video camera at nothing
in the sky and then trying to get my kids to watch.. Now they're turning
into "bugs"...
Sooooo, what's your excuse!?!!!

d.

galwacco July 10th 07 12:26 PM

I saw something!

On Jul 9, 11:49 pm, (DougD) wrote:
[...]

D.- Hide quoted text -

Very cool Doug!! I had no idea about those things! That one I reported
was my very first one and I thought it was soooo cool!
A couple of weeks ago, my 2 years old son tripped and feel on the
ground of our backyard, I went to see what happened and he was crying
a lot. Then as an atempt to make him stop crying, I pointed to the
moon, which was a full moon and told him to look at it.
Right at that very moment I saw a satelite passing by, it was also the
first time I'd seen one. Man, it was just awesome!!

It passed by really fast, and kind of drew a line path as it passed.
Since I bought my telescope, I started to look more at the sky, and
that is giving me more opportunities to glance cool things such as
iridium flares and satelites.

I downloaded this software called orbitron, which is supposed to give
me the exact time a determinate satelite is passing over where I am
situated, would you have any other software like that to indicate me?
Or, is that one I downloaded a good one?

So far I didn't have an opportunity to see anything, since it's rain
season and the sky is most of the nights covered up with clouds.

Thanks a lot folks!

DougD July 10th 07 07:36 PM

I saw something!

In article . com, galwacco wrote:

I downloaded this software called orbitron, which is supposed to give
me the exact time a determinate satelite is passing over where I am
situated, would you have any other software like that to indicate me?
Or, is that one I downloaded a good one?

So far I didn't have an opportunity to see anything, since it's rain
season and the sky is most of the nights covered up with clouds.

Thanks a lot folks!

You're very welcome! I'm not familiar with orbitron, I just use the
Heaven's Above website:
http://www.heavens-above.com/
It's free, you just need to register and also find your earth coord.
to get the predictions. They do have look up tables on the site, but
the best results are if you can get a GPS and do a reading from your
location (altitude also figures into this as well). A fairly good way to
get this is using Google Earth. You can get your lat, lon, and altitude
from just zooming in on your location and then cutting and pasting from
the software.
I also use Starry Night Pro, which is kinda pricey astro software,
mine is kinda an older version, and I think there are less expensive versions
than the Pro. It's great software if you own a telescope, and it has tons of
features that make life a lot easier if you're trying to spot sat's. I use the
"find" function, and just type in "Iridium" as a search term and it will list
all of the sats, and highlight the ones that will be observable from your
location. You can then tag which ever ones that match up with the
Heaven's Above predictions, and it will draw in the sat. path across
the sky for your location and track it's motion in real time, or you can
fast forward, etc. to get a preview of where to be looking, etc. It also
gives out magnitude (brightness) data in real time, but it doesn't track
with Heaven's Above, HA's has always been more accurate as far as
predictions of magnitude. I usually go into HA about every two weeks
and grab a couple of weeks Iridium predictions for my location. I cut
and paste them into a desktop file, and then I go through and cut out
anything that is less then -4 in magnitude, it ends up looking something
like this:

date Time Mag Alt. Azimuth Dist. to Flare Mag2 Sat.
10 Jul 04:48:18 -4 12 67 (ENE) 48.1 km (W) -5 Iridium 55

So this is the base HA prediction's that you get. There's the date, the
time in your location that it's rising above the horizon. The altitude where
it will flare, the azimuth, or basically the compass heading of it's origin.
The distance to flare is kinda important, it tells you how far away from
the absolute center of the reflected light you are. The mag2 is the
absolute brightest mag. that the sat. will reflect, the first mag. is the
reduced mag. due to your observing spot being not directly under
the spot of reflection. So, you might see a mag2 of -8, but the mag for
your location may only be -4 because you're 80km away from the
point on earth where the most light is bounced back from the sattelite.
There's a much better explanation of all this on the HA web site, plus
they track more than just the Iridiums, they also track the Int. Space
Station, as well as the Space Shuttle when it's up, next one I think is
going up the first week or so of August. They're fun to look at as well,
when the two are docked together, with even binoculars, you can make
out two seperate objects going across the sky together. There are also
some real oddbal sats, I've seen one which was actually a group of 3
satellites that I believe were tethered together, ( I think), but if really
spooked me the first time I saw this triangle of lights moving together
across the sky, I thought I had seen my first UFO!!
Anyway, sign up for HA, it's worth it if you really want to track satellites,
and it's free!
Good luck, great viewing!!

d.

galwacco July 11th 07 12:34 PM

I saw something!

On Jul 10, 3:36 pm, (DougD) wrote:
[...]

WOW Doug!! What a lesson!
I've done what you told me! Printed a whole bunch of flares, like I
said the weather is pretty bad in here, but it seems that it will
clean up for the weekend.
I can't wait to do some spottings! Hey! I think I've been beaten by
the bug!!

DougD July 11th 07 04:14 PM

I saw something!

In article . com, galwacco wrote:

WOW Doug!! What a lesson!
I've done what you told me! Printed a whole bunch of flares, like I
said the weather is pretty bad in here, but it seems that it will
clean up for the weekend.
I can't wait to do some spottings! Hey! I think I've been beaten by
the bug!!

Well, good for you! The key is patience, and NOT trying to spot
everyone that's listed. Try and limit your choices to flares that will
have a magnitude from about -4 to -8, -9 (the brightest). Going after
the -1's can be difficult as they aren't going to flare that bright, and
the time before they peak is much visibly shorter, which makes them
more difficult to find. Starting at a -4, you should be able to see
the sat. as it transits from below the horizon with the naked eye right
up until the flare, and then continue to see it travel on from there.
And this is even more important if you have light pollution from the
location you are in. It's worth a trip if you can get out of town and
away from city light, you just need to find that spot and put those
coord. into your prediction software.
Well, great luck with it all, let us know when you get to see
your first -7 or -8!!

D.
Oh, one last hint: I've found that if I say, take a months worth of
predictions from Heaven's Above, and then I go back to see what's
coming up after that month has passed, sometimes those predictions
will have changed. It's worth it to go back and update your predictions
during the week that you will be looking as I've seen for whatever
reasons, sat magnitudes can drop or go up over a period of time relative
to when the prediction was first made. And depending where you are,
you may find that there may be a whole month or more that goes by
where there aren't any really bright observations to be made. It just
works out where the Iridiums path reletive to you can shift over time,
and then you find yourself "stuck" in between the best paths for your
location. They will come back, I've noticed now that I've moved further
north, that there are more periods of low observation for maybe up
to two months at a time, whereas there were always something to see
when I was lower down in the Midwest US.
Again, good luck!

Skywise July 12th 07 05:00 AM

I saw something!

(DougD) wrote in :

Snipola
Sooooo, what's your excuse!?!!!

Caught the satellite watching bug about 10 years ago. Don't
rememeber if it was sat's in general or Iridiums specifically.

But it sprang out of my astronomy hobby (see! more optics!)
when I started seeing the things in my FOV.

Being in the LA area I also have taken to watching rocket
launches from Vandenberg.

I don't have any super spectacular pics, but there's some
stuff in the astronomy section of my website, URL in sig.

Which reminds me...I took a pic of an Iridium the other day
that's still on my D200....

Skywise July 12th 07 05:03 AM

I saw something!

galwacco wrote in news:1184066784.737322.22240
@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Snipola
Right at that very moment I saw a satelite passing by, it was also the
first time I'd seen one. Man, it was just awesome!!

It passed by really fast, and kind of drew a line path as it passed.

Snipola

How fast? Sat's take minutes to cross the entire sky. Only
the really low (about to reenter) ones zip by with much
speed, and then were still talking about a minute.

If what you saw only lasted seconds, it was most likely a
meteor - especially if it left a "line path" in the sky.

DougD July 14th 07 08:49 PM

I saw something!

In article , Skywise wrote:

How fast? Sat's take minutes to cross the entire sky. Only
the really low (about to reenter) ones zip by with much
speed, and then were still talking about a minute.

If what you saw only lasted seconds, it was most likely a
meteor - especially if it left a "line path" in the sky.

Brian

I was kinda curious about the "line path" part of his sighting as well.
However, as far as the speed, the Iridium's can appear to be a fairly
fast moving object, depending on where you are viewing it from. Keep
in mind that depending on the background light, etc. that sometimes
it's not possible to actually spot an iridium until it's started it's flare,
so that the normal transit time of maybe a few minutes gets cut down
to the 15-25 seconds when it's most visible. Also, the apparent speed
increases as it moves overhead compared to when they first come up
over the horizon. I've been lucky to have had a few years viewing them
from first my home when it was in Minnesota, to now where I'm on
Vancouver Island, and there's quite a bit of difference in the "experience"
between the two. In the case of Mn, I was able to see quite a few daylight
iridium passes, where here I've not been able to see any, they are just
in the wrong part of the sky at that time of the day. They're still up there,
they still produce a flare, but the background light is just too bright to try
and pick them up. So, who knows what he's seeing, the easiest way to
figure it out is to look up some in the prediction software and then see
if they coincide, although I've even gotten that wrong on occasion and
was looking at a completely different satellite than an iridium. That's
also how I found that "tethered" satellite (if that's what it was), which
still has me fairly amazed at having seen something like that, just so
odd.. A triangle of sat's all travelling at the same speed relative to each
other.

D.

Skywise July 15th 07 05:07 AM

I saw something!

(DougD) wrote in :

Snipola
sometimes
it's not possible to actually spot an iridium until it's started it's
flare, so that the normal transit time of maybe a few minutes gets cut
down to the 15-25 seconds when it's most visible.

Re-reading his description, I still doubt it was an Iridium,
unless it was a tumbler - he mentions changing magnitude.

I'd still like to get a better idea of what he means by "moving
quite fast". I think we're just arguing air with a description
like that.

If the original poster is reading this, coudl you describe the
apparent speed better? Perhaps hold out your hand at arms length
and spread your fingers wide - about how long did the sat take
to pass that span? How spans across the sky was the sat visible?

Snipola
also how I found that "tethered" satellite (if that's what it was)

Sounds like TIPS, which I've never seen.

which
still has me fairly amazed at having seen something like that, just so
odd.. A triangle of sat's all travelling at the same speed relative to
each other.

That sounds like a NOSS trio. I've seen those.

The most amazing thing I've seen was one of the USA series
spy sats, USA 32 I think it was. Thing looked like it could
have been Pink Floyds mirror ball up there the way it was
sparkling. I'm sure the conspiracy nutz would have had a
field day with that observation.

William R Thompson July 15th 07 12:26 PM

I saw something!

"Skywise" wrote:

The most amazing thing I've seen was one of the USA series
spy sats, USA 32 I think it was. Thing looked like it could
have been Pink Floyds mirror ball up there the way it was
sparkling. I'm sure the conspiracy nutz would have had a
field day with that observation.

Do you mean Ajisai (1986-061A)? The disco ball is
always an amazing sight, even if it's only visible in binoculars.

--Bill Thompson

Skywise July 16th 07 05:09 AM

I saw something!

"William R Thompson" wrote in news:Vvnmi.8241
:

"Skywise" wrote:

The most amazing thing I've seen was one of the USA series
spy sats, USA 32 I think it was. Thing looked like it could
have been Pink Floyds mirror ball up there the way it was
sparkling. I'm sure the conspiracy nutz would have had a
field day with that observation.

Do you mean Ajisai (1986-061A)? The disco ball is
always an amazing sight, even if it's only visible in binoculars.

No. I was observing a predicted pass of USA 32. It was so
spectacular that I recall it very specifically now.

DougD July 16th 07 07:54 AM

I saw something!

In article , Skywise wrote:

That sounds like a NOSS trio. I've seen those.

The most amazing thing I've seen was one of the USA series
spy sats, USA 32 I think it was. Thing looked like it could
have been Pink Floyds mirror ball up there the way it was
sparkling. I'm sure the conspiracy nutz would have had a
field day with that observation.

Brian

From what I have read of the spy sats, I got the impression that at
least one of these tethered ones fell into that catagory. The night that
I spotted it, I had been watching for the ISS, and the shuttle which had
not yet linked up. I guess I had missed the ISS, but thought that I was
looking at that pair until I noticed a third sat travelling rel. to a pair
that I thought was the ISS/shuttle. So, whatever it was, was tracking in
an orbit very close to the ISS's, delayed by about 3 minutes. I've never
been able to spot it since, although I kept a note of the obs. data here
somewhere..

d.

galwacco July 17th 07 12:29 PM

I saw something!

On Jul 15, 1:07 am, Skywise wrote:
(DougD) wrote :

[...]

--http://www.skywise711.com- Lasers, Seismology, Astronomy, Skepticism
Seismic FAQ:http://www.skywise711.com/SeismicFAQ/SeismicFAQ.html
Quake "predictions":http://www.skywise711.com/quakes/EQDB/index.html
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Hi there again!!

Sorry for not answering your questions posted throughout this weekend.
I was out traveling.
I understand that there is a mistake on the subject.

In my very first post I reported an iridium flare, though I didn't
still understand what I had seen. That flare lasted quite long, about
50 seconds maybe, I didn't count though. It appeared to be a -3
magnitude.

I also reported in another post that I had supposedly seen a sat just
about a week before I had seen that flare just mentioned. That thing I
was which I thought it was a sat passed really fast, it crossed the
sky within no longer than 10 seconds I believe.

I said it was MAYBE a satelite as I had never had that type of
experience before. Reading your posts I understand it was just an
asteroid, bigger than the average ones we see as shooting stars, that
is why I wondered if that wasn't anything other than an asteroid.

But like I said, it passed too fast.

My first post, I reported to have seen the flare during the morning
time, and the second event was during the night time, right on the
southern hemisphere of a full moon.

I hope I answered all your questions, since when, I thank you all for
all the priceless help you've extended to me. If I say any absurdity,
please forgive me. I just started learning about this hobby, and
still, up here in southern Brazil is very cloudy latelly.

My scope, binos and charts are all shut in the closet awaiting for an
opportunity, which I didn't have yet since my very first posting in
here. I will try to keep up with your postings to either continue
learning a lot from you all and to answer any questions that might
still be unclear concerning my reports due to my bad English.

Thanks folks!

galwacco July 17th 07 12:36 PM

I saw something!

If the original poster is reading this, coudl you describe the
apparent speed better? Perhaps hold out your hand at arms length
and spread your fingers wide - about how long did the sat take
to pass that span? How spans across the sky was the sat visible?

Is it concerning the iridium flase I saw or the asteroid during the
night?

If it's the second one, it drew a line of about 80 and lasted no more
than 10 seconds.

DougD July 17th 07 03:13 PM

I saw something!

In article .com, galwacco wrote:

I hope I answered all your questions, since when, I thank you all for
all the priceless help you've extended to me. If I say any absurdity,
please forgive me. I just started learning about this hobby, and
still, up here in southern Brazil is very cloudy latelly.

My scope, binos and charts are all shut in the closet awaiting for an
opportunity, which I didn't have yet since my very first posting in
here. I will try to keep up with your postings to either continue
learning a lot from you all and to answer any questions that might
still be unclear concerning my reports due to my bad English.

Thanks folks!

Well, you've got great english skills, don't knock yourself, you're
better "spoken" than a lot folks that have been raised in English.
As far as the sat. observing, I'm really not that much further ahead
in this than you, I'm a very, very casual observer, I'm not into
astronomy as much as I'm into the instrumentation, so take whatever
I say with some scepticism, I'm no expert, or even an average
observer. That's why it's best to rely on folks like Heaven's Above
who know their subject.
Thanks for the reply and update!

D.

Skywise July 18th 07 04:58 AM

I saw something!

Are you guys aware of the SeeSat-L mailing list?

http://www.satobs.org/seesat/seesatindex.html

Probably not the best place to ask a lot of beginners
questions, but you can leanr a lot just by reading.

DougD July 18th 07 03:29 PM

I saw something!

In article , Skywise wrote:
Are you guys aware of the SeeSat-L mailing list?

http://www.satobs.org/seesat/seesatindex.html

Probably not the best place to ask a lot of beginners
questions, but you can leanr a lot just by reading.

Brian

Thanks for the link, lots of interesting NOSS stuff there!

D.

Skywise July 19th 07 06:13 AM

I saw something!

(DougD) wrote in :

In article , Skywise

wrote:
Are you guys aware of the SeeSat-L mailing list?

http://www.satobs.org/seesat/seesatindex.html

Probably not the best place to ask a lot of beginners
questions, but you can leanr a lot just by reading.

Brian

Thanks for the link, lots of interesting NOSS stuff there!

D.

Yes, some new ones went up recently. I don't set aside time
for sat watching much anymore, especially when the TLE's
went to Spacetrack and their ridiculous rules.

William R Thompson July 19th 07 11:03 AM

I saw something!

"Skywise" wrote:

"William R Thompson" wrote:

"Skywise" wrote:

The most amazing thing I've seen was one of the USA series
spy sats, USA 32 I think it was. Thing looked like it could
have been Pink Floyds mirror ball up there the way it was
sparkling. I'm sure the conspiracy nutz would have had a
field day with that observation.

Do you mean Ajisai (1986-061A)? The disco ball is
always an amazing sight, even if it's only visible in binoculars.

No. I was observing a predicted pass of USA 32. It was so
spectacular that I recall it very specifically now.

The best flare I ever saw was OAO 2. It was as bright as
the best Iridium flares, but lasted over a minute.

According to astronautix.com, USA 32 is a Singleton satellite,
launched aboard a Titan 23G (a slightly modified Titan 2).
It's supposed to be a signals intelligence satellite, possibly with
some imaging capability. One source claims that it has a
ten meter radar dish antenna. I can't find any pictures of
the satellite anywhere, but it's probably got a large solar
panel or two for power.

--Bill Thompson

William R Thompson July 19th 07 11:30 AM

I saw something!

"Skywise" wrote:

The most amazing thing I've seen was one of the USA series
spy sats, USA 32 I think it was. Thing looked like it could
have been Pink Floyds mirror ball up there the way it was
sparkling. I'm sure the conspiracy nutz would have had a
field day with that observation.

I just watched USA 32 make a pass. It got all sparkly for
about five seconds. I'll keep an eye on it, weather permitting,
and maybe I'll get lucky and see a pass as spectacular as yours.

Thanks for the heads-up on this bird!

--Bill Thompson

Skywise July 21st 07 12:32 AM

I saw something!

"William R Thompson" wrote in news:63Hni.8408
:

"Skywise" wrote:

The most amazing thing I've seen was one of the USA series
spy sats, USA 32 I think it was. Thing looked like it could
have been Pink Floyds mirror ball up there the way it was
sparkling. I'm sure the conspiracy nutz would have had a
field day with that observation.

I just watched USA 32 make a pass. It got all sparkly for
about five seconds. I'll keep an eye on it, weather permitting,
and maybe I'll get lucky and see a pass as spectacular as yours.

Thanks for the heads-up on this bird!

Nice ot know it's still up there sparkling. I've not looked
for that one in quite a few years.

Checking Heavens-Above, all my passes are after midnight for
the next couple weeks. So, I'll have to plan this one carefully.

William R Thompson July 21st 07 10:40 AM

I saw something!

"Skywise" wrote:

(about USA 32)

Nice to know it's still up there sparkling. I've not looked
for that one in quite a few years.

Checking Heavens-Above, all my passes are after midnight for
the next couple weeks. So, I'll have to plan this one carefully.

Have you looked at USA 81 (1992-023-A)? It's supposed to be the
same type of satellite as USA 32.

--Bill Thompson

Skywise July 22nd 07 05:20 AM

I saw something!

"William R Thompson" wrote in news:owkoi.9302
:

"Skywise" wrote:

(about USA 32)

Nice to know it's still up there sparkling. I've not looked
for that one in quite a few years.

Checking Heavens-Above, all my passes are after midnight for
the next couple weeks. So, I'll have to plan this one carefully.

Have you looked at USA 81 (1992-023-A)? It's supposed to be the
same type of satellite as USA 32.

Not that I recall. I'm just a casual observer. Don't even
take notes.

But I see I have a favorable pass tonight clminating at
43 degree elevation as it enters shadow.

Except....the marine layer has moved on shore so no observing
tonight.

William R Thompson July 22nd 07 06:42 AM

I saw something!

"Skywise" wrote:

"William R Thompson" wrote:

Have you looked at USA 81 (1992-023-A)? It's supposed to be the
same type of satellite as USA 32.

Not that I recall. I'm just a casual observer. Don't even
take notes.

But I see I have a favorable pass tonight culminating at
43 degree elevation as it enters shadow.

USA 81 just made a pass here at about 80 degree elevation.
It was visible to the naked eye and the sparkling was impossible
to miss.

--Bill Thompson

Skywise July 23rd 07 04:41 AM

I saw something!

"William R Thompson" wrote in news:87Coi.10814
:

"Skywise" wrote:

"William R Thompson" wrote:

Have you looked at USA 81 (1992-023-A)? It's supposed to be the
same type of satellite as USA 32.

Not that I recall. I'm just a casual observer. Don't even
take notes.

But I see I have a favorable pass tonight culminating at
43 degree elevation as it enters shadow.

USA 81 just made a pass here at about 80 degree elevation.
It was visible to the naked eye and the sparkling was impossible
to miss.

SWEET!!!

The marine layer is gone only to be replaced by high monsoon
clouds.

But, IIRC, I don't have another high pass for a few more days.