-   Amateur Astronomy (http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   So, what's on the Moon? (http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=219116)

StarDust March 12th 17 08:13 PM

So, what's on the Moon?

China to Launch Lunar Space Probe Before Year's End
https://www.usnews.com/news/news/art...fore-years-end

China announced plans on Tuesday to launch a space probe to bring back samples from the moon before the end of the year,

Still don't know the composition of the Moon after 50 years?

Chris L Peterson March 12th 17 08:26 PM

So, what's on the Moon?

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 12:13:37 -0700 (PDT), StarDust
wrote:

China to Launch Lunar Space Probe Before Year's End
https://www.usnews.com/news/news/art...fore-years-end

China announced plans on Tuesday to launch a space probe to bring back samples from the moon before the end of the year,

Still don't know the composition of the Moon after 50 years?

Do you know the story of the blind men and the elephant? The Moon is a
big place.

Davoud[_1_] March 13th 17 01:04 AM

So, what's on the Moon?

StarDust:
China to Launch Lunar Space Probe Before Year's End
Still don't know the composition of the Moon after 50 years?

Chris L Peterson:
Do you know the story of the blind men and the elephant? The Moon is a
big place.

Still. The Moon is made of rocks, dust, perhaps a bit of ice, and a
trace of man-made detritus. Who cares?

If Google serves me, the ocean basins comprise about 360 million sq km.
or about 71 percent of the Earth's surface. The Moon's surface
comprises about 38 million sq km. We know considerably more about the
Moon's geography than we do the seabed. Not to mention the 1.35 billion
cubic km of seawater that lies above the seabed. We have no idea what
lives in that water. What we have done to date is comparable to
trawling the ocean with a whale-sized net and concluding that it's all
whales. Prochlorococcus: most abundant photosynthetic organism, but not
isolated until 1988 because it is too small to be seen with
conventional optical microscopy ‹E.O. Wilson. Prefer dry land? Wilson
calls bacteria the dark matter of life; they are there, but we haven't
found them. There are 6000 named species, but all of those and
countless more species are present among the 10-to-50 million bacteria
that inhabit each *gram* of moist, fertile. topsoil. A ton of fertile
topsoil probably contains four million unknown species.

For my money, we ought to send men back to the Moon after we have
catalogued, say, 98 percent of the species on Earth, including the
oceans. Which translates to "never."

****

"...the Disney version of science... People can be sent up into space
and hit a few golf balls around on the surface of the Moon...that¹s all
fine if you like that kind of spectacle, but it has nothing to do with
scientific research." ‹Steven Weinberg

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

RichA[_1_] March 13th 17 03:06 AM

So, what's on the Moon?

On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 3:13:41 PM UTC-4, StarDust wrote:
China to Launch Lunar Space Probe Before Year's End
https://www.usnews.com/news/news/art...fore-years-end

China announced plans on Tuesday to launch a space probe to bring back samples from the moon before the end of the year,

Still don't know the composition of the Moon after 50 years?

I guess the best reaction would be...so what? It's like going out tomorrow and declaring you just invented the cellphone.

Chris L Peterson March 13th 17 05:09 AM

So, what's on the Moon?

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 20:04:46 -0400, Davoud wrote:

StarDust:
China to Launch Lunar Space Probe Before Year's End
Still don't know the composition of the Moon after 50 years?

Chris L Peterson:
Do you know the story of the blind men and the elephant? The Moon is a
big place.

Still. The Moon is made of rocks, dust, perhaps a bit of ice, and a
trace of man-made detritus. Who cares?

The Moon has a great deal to reveal about the origins of the Solar
System.

If Google serves me, the ocean basins comprise about 360 million sq km.
or about 71 percent of the Earth's surface. The Moon's surface
comprises about 38 million sq km. We know considerably more about the
Moon's geography than we do the seabed.

But we know less about the Moon's geology than we do about Earth's...
including the deep ocean.

But it's not an either-or thing. We should be exploring the Earth and
the Moon.

For my money, we ought to send men back to the Moon after we have
catalogued, say, 98 percent of the species on Earth, including the
oceans. Which translates to "never."

Never say never, but yes, there's no need at all to send men to the
Moon again for the foreseeable future. But the mission under
discussion is a robotic sample return mission. Seems like very good
work, and the possibility of very good science.

Paul Schlyter[_3_] March 13th 17 11:02 AM

So, what's on the Moon?

https://www.usnews.com/news/news/art...a-to-launch-lu
nar-space-probe-before-years-end

China announced plans on Tuesday to launch a space probe to bring

back samples from the moon before the end of the year,

Still don't know the composition of the Moon after 50 years?

There are many places on the Moon which never have been sampled. And
no lunar samples have been brought to the Moon in the last 40 or so
years. But the major motivation for this mission is probably for
China to show the rest of the world that they can do it and to
prepare for future manned lunar missions. Welcome back to the space
race!

Paul Schlyter[_3_] March 13th 17 11:04 AM

So, what's on the Moon?

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 20:04:46 -0400, Davoud wrote:
Still. The Moon is made of rocks, dust, perhaps a bit of ice, and a
trace of man-made detritus. Who cares?

People who, like you, don't care will of course not bother to launch
lunar missions.

Chris.B[_3_] March 13th 17 06:06 PM

So, what's on the Moon?

On Monday, 13 March 2017 11:04:55 UTC+1, Paul Schlyter wrote:

People who, like you, don't care will of course not bother to launch
lunar missions.

Please, Sir! I care about lunar missions, Sir!
I have a long list of free ticket winners for one-way trips.
Let's just start at the top and work our way down:
Trump, The Perp, Assad, Kim, ...
It seems entirely apt that the word "lunacy" is based on Luna.
There's plenty of it about. ;-)

Davoud[_1_] March 14th 17 06:11 PM

So, what's on the Moon?

Davoud:
Still. The Moon is made of rocks, dust, perhaps a bit of ice, and a
trace of man-made detritus. Who cares?

Paul Schlyter:
People who, like you, don't care will of course not bother to launch
lunar missions.

Not exactly the case. Did that already. Spent $24 billion up to the
return of Apollo 11, a few more $billion after that. Now, if China
wants to spend $billions, I'm all for it. But I'm some $trillions short
of having a penny just now.

StarDust March 15th 17 11:54 PM

So, what's on the Moon?

On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 12:13:41 PM UTC-7, StarDust wrote:
China to Launch Lunar Space Probe Before Year's End
https://www.usnews.com/news/news/art...fore-years-end

China announced plans on Tuesday to launch a space probe to bring back samples from the moon before the end of the year,

Still don't know the composition of the Moon after 50 years?

I think, soon we'll have a Moon base populated by yellow man!
All they need to grow there is rice to survive!