-   Amateur Astronomy (http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Questar 5 specifications released, mounting specs later? (http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=223599)

RichA[_6_] May 25th 18 01:00 AM

Questar 5 specifications released, mounting specs later?

Curious to see if they produce a modernized, electronicized mount or just a regular none Goto unit, perhaps with DC drives?

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...estar-5/page-8

Martin Brown[_3_] May 25th 18 09:39 AM

On 25/05/2018 01:00, RichA wrote:
Curious to see if they produce a modernized, electronicized mount or
just a regular none Goto unit, perhaps with DC drives?

These days wouldn't they just put a standard mount adaptor on and allow
the purchaser to attach it to which ever high end drive they like?

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...estar-5/page-8

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Quadibloc May 25th 18 12:47 PM

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 2:39:40 AM UTC-6, Martin Brown wrote:

These days wouldn't they just put a standard mount adaptor on and allow
the purchaser to attach it to which ever high end drive they like?

Maybe, but this _is_ Questar we're talking about, so it would be more than a
little surprising if they did do it that way.

John Savard

Chris.B[_3_] May 26th 18 06:41 AM

On Friday, 25 May 2018 13:47:39 UTC+2, Quadibloc wrote:
On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 2:39:40 AM UTC-6, Martin Brown wrote:

These days wouldn't they just put a standard mount adaptor on and allow
the purchaser to attach it to which ever high end drive they like?

Maybe, but this _is_ Questar we're talking about, so it would be more than a
little surprising if they did do it that way.

John Savard

A fixated market corrupts absolutely.
Just ask iRottenApple.

RichA[_6_] May 27th 18 01:23 AM

On Friday, 25 May 2018 04:39:40 UTC-4, Martin Brown wrote:
On 25/05/2018 01:00, RichA wrote:
Curious to see if they produce a modernized, electronicized mount or
just a regular none Goto unit, perhaps with DC drives?

These days wouldn't they just put a standard mount adaptor on and allow
the purchaser to attach it to which ever high end drive they like?

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5...estar-5/page-8

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

That would mean German mounts. I'm no fan, but some might use them. I think Questar's fork mount is iconic so I hope some variation of it appears.

Quadibloc May 28th 18 11:54 AM

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 11:41:18 PM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

A fixated market corrupts absolutely.
Just ask iRottenApple.

Brandon eyepieces. On screw threads. Oh, yes. Don't get me started.

John Savard

RichA[_6_] May 30th 18 05:35 AM

On Monday, 28 May 2018 06:54:24 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 11:41:18 PM UTC-6, Chris.B wrote:

A fixated market corrupts absolutely.
Just ask iRottenApple.

Brandon eyepieces. On screw threads. Oh, yes. Don't get me started.

John Savard

Just like Brandons, some cameras had screw-mount lenses. Back in the 1960's...

Quadibloc May 30th 18 10:23 AM

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 10:35:06 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:

Just like Brandons, some cameras had screw-mount lenses. Back in the 1960's...

For 35 mm cameras, screw mount was the standard, and the various bayonet mounts
were developed later to allow additional features and be quicker to change lenses.

For telescopes, a plain tube is the standard.

John Savard

Chris.B[_3_] May 30th 18 06:50 PM

On Wednesday, 30 May 2018 11:23:59 UTC+2, Quadibloc wrote:
On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 10:35:06 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:

Just like Brandons, some cameras had screw-mount lenses. Back in the 1960's...

For 35 mm cameras, screw mount was the standard, and the various bayonet mounts
were developed later to allow additional features and be quicker to change lenses.

For telescopes, a plain tube is the standard.

John Savard

When I were a lad.. [ca 1960] my first [simple] eyepieces were solid brass, RAS threaded, in a hefty brass push-pull focusing mount [sic] for my first aerial ATM telescope. A 0.5 dioptre spectacle lens of 2 meters focus served as my objective. I [fleetingly] saw a huge and colourful Saturn thanks to a clothes drying post in the back garden through my 1/2" eyepiece. There were very few, British, astronomical equipment dealers at that time. It was another few years until a school friend allowed me to look through his cast-iron, altazimuth mounted 6" Newtonian reflector. Talk about luxury! The lunar image was spectacular!

RichA[_6_] May 31st 18 12:50 AM

On Wednesday, 30 May 2018 05:23:59 UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 10:35:06 PM UTC-6, RichA wrote:

Just like Brandons, some cameras had screw-mount lenses. Back in the 1960's...

For 35 mm cameras, screw mount was the standard, and the various bayonet mounts
were developed later to allow additional features and be quicker to change lenses.

For telescopes, a plain tube is the standard.

John Savard

I have one telescope with bayonet-mount eyepieces. A Halleyscope spotter from the 1980's.