-   Amateur Astronomy (http://www.spacebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   printing slides (http://www.spacebanter.com/showthread.php?t=47520)

C. Balci January 8th 05 08:21 PM

printing slides

Hello,

I have completed a roll of slide film with astrophotos (constellation
shots). Since this is my first try, i have only requested my lab to
process it without cutting. Today i got my film. Pictures seem good.
Now i don't know what to do next. I plan to cut the frames and select
the good ones for printing. Do you think i should print all of them?
If i cut the frames but not mount the slides, does it cause any
problem in printing or should i mount them before printing. I have not
shot any daylight or any other bright picture so it seems that there
is no other way to have my lab cut the slide. Or, is there any way?
If i don't plan to make slide shows, do i need to mount the slides?

Regards,

balci

David G. Nagel January 8th 05 09:00 PM

C. Balci wrote:

Hello,

I have completed a roll of slide film with astrophotos (constellation
shots). Since this is my first try, i have only requested my lab to
process it without cutting. Today i got my film. Pictures seem good.
Now i don't know what to do next. I plan to cut the frames and select
the good ones for printing. Do you think i should print all of them?
If i cut the frames but not mount the slides, does it cause any
problem in printing or should i mount them before printing. I have not
shot any daylight or any other bright picture so it seems that there
is no other way to have my lab cut the slide. Or, is there any way?
If i don't plan to make slide shows, do i need to mount the slides?

Regards,

balci

Check with your lab but hold off on cutting the film. The lab most
likely will process using the uncut film. Just tell them which frames
you want to print.

Dave N.

Aidan Karley January 9th 05 01:00 AM

In article , C. Balci
wrote:
I have not
shot any daylight or any other bright picture so it seems that there
is no other way to have my lab cut the slide.

Strategic error.
When I've done night-sky photography before, and cave
photography, I generally try to make sure to get an "indexing shot" of
a bright subject near start and end of each film.

Your film will probably have markings along the edge of the film
(outside the actual image area) which will give you sufficient
reference points to tell the lab which bits of the film you want to
print. Different film makes have different numbering/ lettering schemes
though.

--
Aidan Karley,
Aberdeen, Scotland,

Mike Dworetsky January 9th 05 12:44 PM

"Aidan Karley" wrote in message
. invalid...
In article , C. Balci
wrote:
I have not
shot any daylight or any other bright picture so it seems that there
is no other way to have my lab cut the slide.

Strategic error.
When I've done night-sky photography before, and cave
photography, I generally try to make sure to get an "indexing shot" of
a bright subject near start and end of each film.

Your film will probably have markings along the edge of the film
(outside the actual image area) which will give you sufficient
reference points to tell the lab which bits of the film you want to
print. Different film makes have different numbering/ lettering schemes
though.

Indeed.

The problem of correct printing (or cutting by the lab) is that many of them
use automatic machinery to determine the initial location of the slide frame
edges, which is why the OP should have made taken some bright subject
exposures. If the lab is using a human operator for custom printing, he
should have little difficulty.

It should be possible to get good prints from mounted slides but for best
results the unmounted frames are better as the negative is flatter in the
enlarger.

--
Aidan Karley,
Aberdeen, Scotland,
Location: 5710'11" N, 0208'43" W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove "pants" spamblock to send e-mail)

Aidan Karley January 9th 05 01:00 PM

In article lid, Aidan
Karley wrote:
When I've done night-sky photography before, and cave
photography, I generally try to make sure to get an "indexing shot" of
a bright subject near start and end of each film.

Of course, this is buggered up if your film-wind mechanism is
advancing 1+bit frames per frame. I really ought not drop the camera off
cliffs so often!

OG January 9th 05 05:15 PM

"C. Balci" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I have completed a roll of slide film with astrophotos (constellation
shots). Since this is my first try, i have only requested my lab to
process it without cutting. Today i got my film. Pictures seem good.
Now i don't know what to do next. I plan to cut the frames and select
the good ones for printing. Do you think i should print all of them?
If i cut the frames but not mount the slides, does it cause any
problem in printing or should i mount them before printing. I have not
shot any daylight or any other bright picture so it seems that there
is no other way to have my lab cut the slide. Or, is there any way?
If i don't plan to make slide shows, do i need to mount the slides?

Regards,

balci

If I'm reading you correctly, you have used slide film rather than
having a strip of negatives - is that right?

In which case I would suggest you cut and self-mount them yourself.

You can then hand the mounted negatives in to be printed.

I recall an astrophotography weekend back in '85/86 for Halley's Comet
where one of the two slide films we managed to take was spoiled by
having each of the images cut exactly in half as they were mounted. ;-(

Mike Dworetsky January 9th 05 08:40 PM

"OG" wrote in message

"C. Balci" wrote in message
[...]

We both speak with the voice of experience on this issue...."Knowledge
gained is directly proportional to the amount of film ruined."

starburst January 10th 05 04:31 AM

C. Balci wrote:
Hello,

I have completed a roll of slide film with astrophotos (constellation
shots). Since this is my first try, i have only requested my lab to
process it without cutting. Today i got my film. Pictures seem good.
Now i don't know what to do next. I plan to cut the frames and select
the good ones for printing. Do you think i should print all of them?
If i cut the frames but not mount the slides, does it cause any
problem in printing or should i mount them before printing. I have not
shot any daylight or any other bright picture so it seems that there
is no other way to have my lab cut the slide. Or, is there any way?
If i don't plan to make slide shows, do i need to mount the slides?

Regards,

balci

You don't need to get them mounted at all if you're not planning on
using them in a slide projector, so don't bother doing it. It will
likely only cause problems for you. In the past, I cut the slide film
into strips of four or five exposures each and then store them in the
same sheets used for storing megatives. You can buy sheets like these at
most photo stores.