PDA

View Full Version : name of the moon

boka_do
July 20th 03, 02:28 AM
this may sound like a dumb question but has earths moon ever been given a
name other than just "the moon"

--
Life is the greatest adventure you'll ever go on.
Make sure you don't forget to enjoy the ride.

-Author Unknown

Wally Anglesea™
July 20th 03, 04:56 AM
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:06:28 -0700 (PDT), (Bill
Sheppard) wrote:

>Luna. From whence comes the word 'lunar'.
>
>oc
and, IIRC, Selene
--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."

Bill Nunnelee
July 20th 03, 06:07 AM
This question comes up from time to time, but officially, at least in
English, it's just the Moon. You'll never see anything else in any standard
reference. Luna is Latin; Selene is Greek.

"Wally AngleseaT" > wrote in
message ...
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:06:28 -0700 (PDT), (Bill
> Sheppard) wrote:
>
> >Luna. From whence comes the word 'lunar'.
> >
> >oc
> and, IIRC, Selene
> --
>
> Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
> http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm
>
> "You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."

Jim Jones
July 29th 03, 02:16 AM
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:07:10 GMT, "Bill Nunnelee"
> wrote:

>This question comes up from time to time, but officially, at least in
>English, it's just the Moon. You'll never see anything else in any standard
>reference. Luna is Latin; Selene is Greek.

I thought 'fengari' was Greek for the moon ?

>"Wally AngleseaT" > wrote in
>message ...
>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:06:28 -0700 (PDT), (Bill
>> Sheppard) wrote:
>>
>> >Luna. From whence comes the word 'lunar'.
>> >
>> >oc
>> and, IIRC, Selene
>> --
>>
>> Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
>> http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm
>>
>> "You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."

Ron Miller
July 29th 03, 11:45 AM
"Jim Jones" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:07:10 GMT, "Bill Nunnelee"
> > wrote:
>
> >This question comes up from time to time, but officially, at least in
> >English, it's just the Moon. You'll never see anything else in any
standard
> >reference. Luna is Latin; Selene is Greek.
> >
> I thought 'fengari' was Greek for the moon ?

Selene was the goddess of the moon. Calling the moon this would make sense
since most of the other planets and moons in the solar system are named
after Greek and Roman gods and goddesses.

RM

Don W
July 18th 05, 03:10 PM
The Latin name was "Luna" - the moon was believed to cause insanity, hence
lunatics, loony tunes, etc.
- Don

"boka_do" > wrote in message
. ..
this may sound like a dumb question but has earths moon ever been given a
name other than just "the moon"

--
Life is the greatest adventure you'll ever go on.
Make sure you don't forget to enjoy the ride.

-Author Unknown

Wally Anglesea™
July 18th 05, 10:51 PM
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:10:02 -0300, "Don W" >
wrote:

>The Latin name was "Luna"

Yep, and anyone who watched cheesy 50's and 60's sci-fi movies would
know that :-)

>- the moon was believed to cause insanity, hence
>lunatics, loony tunes, etc.
>- Don
>
>"boka_do" > wrote in message
. ..
>this may sound like a dumb question but has earths moon ever been given a
>name other than just "the moon"

--

http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/Astronomy/Astronomy.html

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down"

Llanzlan Klazmon
July 18th 05, 11:43 PM
"Don W" > wrote in
:

> The Latin name was "Luna" - the moon was believed to cause insanity,
> hence lunatics, loony tunes, etc.
> - Don
>
> "boka_do" > wrote in message
> . ..
> this may sound like a dumb question but has earths moon ever been
> given a name other than just "the moon"

Another name is Selene (the Greek name and goddess associated with the
moon).

Klazmon.

marika
July 19th 05, 03:09 AM
"Wally AngleseaT" > wrote in
message ...
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:10:02 -0300, "Don W" >
> wrote:
>
> >The Latin name was "Luna"
>
> Yep, and anyone who watched cheesy 50's and 60's sci-fi movies would
> know that :-)

i went to a restaurant (i can't remember the entire name) in Clarendon named
MezzaLuna

they served us eggplant with cheese and a bazillion different kind of pizza

this explains everything

mk5000

"a lazy susan in the dining room. Ill twirl it and get the disco ball
going"--kelly monaco

Lester Mosley
July 19th 05, 09:43 AM
marika wrote:
> "Wally AngleseaT" > wrote in
> message ...
> > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:10:02 -0300, "Don W" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >The Latin name was "Luna"
> >
> > Yep, and anyone who watched cheesy 50's and 60's sci-fi movies would
> > know that :-)
> >

> i went to a restaurant (i can't remember the entire name) in Clarendon named
> MezzaLuna

For added fun, ride the metro and record how many differant ways the
drivers say that city. Its quite fun. I saw a special on CNN that the
metro drivers were learning to pronouce the words and trying to say
Carendon. with a mid-western accent in the DC area.. Everyone knows DC
is a southern town on the bay.

Town is full of hicks.

> they served us eggplant with cheese and a bazillion different kind of pizza
>
> this explains everything
>
> mk5000
>
> "a lazy susan in the dining room. Ill twirl it and get the disco ball
> going"--kelly monaco

marika
July 20th 05, 04:10 AM
"Lester Mosley" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> For added fun, ride the metro and record how many differant ways the
> drivers say that city. Its quite fun. I saw a special on CNN that the
> metro drivers were learning to pronouce the words and trying to say
> Carendon. with a mid-western accent in the DC area.. Everyone knows DC
> is a southern town on the bay.

i really like chesapeake bay crab but i lately heard of pikito crab, do you
know where they are from, what they look like and if i am pronouncing this
right

mk5000

i've been on a ferry before, but i get seasick. i had butterflies in my
stomach all afternoon"--jessica alba