PDA

View Full Version : Re: How to pronounce Betelgeuse?

Carusus
July 19th 03, 09:07 AM
I was taught bet -el- gurze (rhymes with furze)
It apparently means armpit of the hunter in Arabic.
Since that stupid film, however, even Patrick Moore says beetlejuice.

"Jim Fisher" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Roger" > wrote in message
> > According the "Astronomy : Fundamentals and Frontiers" by Jastrow and
> > Thomposon it's pronounced "Beetle Juice", however I hear it pronounced a
> > number of ways by Astronomers. So, I never have figured out what is
> proper.
> > --
> > Roger Halstead
>
> Well howdy Roger!
>
> --
> Jim Fisher

Astronut
June 14th 05, 06:52 PM
Actually, it's armpit of Orion...

Betelgeuse (alpha Ori) [bet-ul-jow-ZAY (BAY-tul-JOOSS)]
< Ar. [bat al-jauza'] "the armpit of Orion" corr. Ar. [yad al-'auza]
"the hand of Orion"

Source: http://astro.isi.edu/reference/starnames.txt

:)

Astronut_ca