PDA

View Full Version : Name of the huge Orion nebulosity

Goete
March 15th 04, 02:51 PM
I have problem to find the proper scientific name of the huge
Ha-nebulosity above a line connecting the stars Betegeuse and
Bellatrix, in Orion.

Any suggestions?

Do check the newest entry at http://user.tninet.se/~sdt522w/

Enjoy
Goete

Roland Roberts
March 15th 04, 08:54 PM

Goete
March 17th 04, 06:37 AM
> Are you referring to Barnard's Loop?
>
> roland

Hello Roland!

I was under the impression that Barnardīs Loop is just the western and
southern part, evenly thick nebulosity surrounding the central part of
Orion.

The northern, huge circular area, I didnīt know was included here.

Regards
Goete

Goete
March 17th 04, 11:12 AM
Correction:

> I was under the impression that Barnardīs Loop is just the EASTERN and
> SOUTHERN part, evenly thick nebulosity surrounding the central part of
> Orion.
>
> Regards
> Goete

Roland Roberts
March 18th 04, 02:18 AM

Goete
March 18th 04, 07:38 AM
OK Roland!

Orion's head. I like that!

Regards
Goete

Rob Pollard
March 18th 04, 12:00 PM
Its called the Great Orion Molecular Cloud.

--
Regards
Rob Pollard

My Astro CCD page is:
http://www.robapol.demon.co.uk

"Roland Roberts" > wrote in message

Adriano
March 18th 04, 05:38 PM
Sharples 2-264

--
Adriano
http://www.edmar-co.com/adriano/

Frank Hofmann
March 19th 04, 04:33 AM
Goete wrote:

> I have problem to find the proper scientific name of the huge
> Ha-nebulosity above a line connecting the stars Betegeuse and
> Bellatrix, in Orion.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi Goete,

it's in Sharpless' Catalogue of emission nebulae, I think the
number is Sh2-246. See:

http://www.messier45.com/cgi-bin/dsdb/dsb.pl?ss=107967082850790&id=4238&str=SH%202%20IN%20ORION

Bye,
FrankH.

--
Email: You can use hofmann(at)physik.uni-wuerzburg.de; since this address
gets mostly spam due to its long time of existance, it may take some time