PDA

View Full Version : Quality Mounts

José Manuel Taverner Torres
March 2nd 04, 04:04 PM
First of all, sorry about my english. I'm Spanish and I don't know very much
english.

I have a Celestron C-8 in a EQ5 equivalent mount by Celestron, the CG5. I am
searching a quality mount for my telescope, but here, in Sapin, they are
very expensive.

An example is the Losmandy G-11. Here is arround 3000$ (without computer,
only mount + field tripod). Another example is the Meade LXD-650. Here is
arround 4500? (US$ 5500 or 6000) (with the computer, same as LX200
computer).

A friend of mine sells this mount (Meade's one) at 2600? (arround US$ 3000
or 3500).

Do you think this mount is really good and quality? Thanks for all

Roger Hamlett
March 2nd 04, 05:18 PM
"José Manuel Taverner Torres" > wrote in message
. es...
> First of all, sorry about my english. I'm Spanish and I don't know very
much
> english.
>
> I have a Celestron C-8 in a EQ5 equivalent mount by Celestron, the CG5. I
am
> searching a quality mount for my telescope, but here, in Sapin, they are
> very expensive.
>
> An example is the Losmandy G-11. Here is arround 3000$ (without computer,
> only mount + field tripod). Another example is the Meade LXD-650. Here is
> arround 4500? (US$ 5500 or 6000) (with the computer, same as LX200
> computer).
>
> A friend of mine sells this mount (Meade's one) at 2600? (arround US$ 3000
> or 3500).
>
> Do you think this mount is really good and quality? Thanks for all
No.
The G-11, beats it by more than the price difference!. The GP-DX (though a
smaller mount), is better than the LXD by a big margin...
The LXD-650, is a very cheaply made/assembled piece of kit. I have seen
four, and _none_ was complete, or working properly 'out of the box', and all
needed a lot of work to get working reasonably well (the PE is still worse
than the GP-DX).

Best Wishes

Szaki
March 6th 04, 08:04 AM
If you going use a C-8 , a GP or GP-DX is would be an excellent mount for
it. You can buy a GP mount on Astromart, for $600-$700 with Vixen drives.
GP-DX is more, maybe $1200, than ship it to Europe, for $100. I think the
G-11 is an over kill, unless you planning to use a heavier OTA, like a C-11.
Check out the Hungarian(close to Spain), Andras's G-41 mount for 3000 Euro,
looks like a very nice mount. Very accurate, handles a C-11. Seen it here
in the US as Demo, impressive. Look at those 6" worm gears.
http://www.astronomy.hu/

Julius

"Roger Hamlett" > wrote in message

> "José Manuel Taverner Torres" > wrote in message
> . es...
> > First of all, sorry about my english. I'm Spanish and I don't know very
> much
> > english.
> >
> > I have a Celestron C-8 in a EQ5 equivalent mount by Celestron, the CG5.
> am
> > searching a quality mount for my telescope, but here, in Sapin, they are
> > very expensive.
> >
> > An example is the Losmandy G-11. Here is arround 3000$ (without
computer,
> > only mount + field tripod). Another example is the Meade LXD-650. Here
is
> > arround 4500? (US$ 5500 or 6000) (with the computer, same as LX200
> > computer).
> >
> > A friend of mine sells this mount (Meade's one) at 2600? (arround US$
3000
> > or 3500).
> >
> > Do you think this mount is really good and quality? Thanks for all
> No.
> The G-11, beats it by more than the price difference!. The GP-DX (though a
> smaller mount), is better than the LXD by a big margin...
> The LXD-650, is a very cheaply made/assembled piece of kit. I have seen
> four, and _none_ was complete, or working properly 'out of the box', and
all
> needed a lot of work to get working reasonably well (the PE is still worse
> than the GP-DX).
>
> Best Wishes

Gembol
March 6th 04, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all, Szaki

"Szaki" > escribió en el mensaje
news:[email protected]_s52...
> If you going use a C-8 , a GP or GP-DX is would be an excellent mount for
> it. You can buy a GP mount on Astromart, for $600-$700 with Vixen drives.
> GP-DX is more, maybe $1200, than ship it to Europe, for $100. I think the
> G-11 is an over kill, unless you planning to use a heavier OTA, like a
C-11.
> Check out the Hungarian(close to Spain), Andras's G-41 mount for 3000
Euro,
> looks like a very nice mount. Very accurate, handles a C-11. Seen it here
> in the US as Demo, impressive. Look at those 6" worm gears.
> http://www.astronomy.hu/
>
> Julius

Szaki
March 6th 04, 06:01 PM
For what?

JS

"Gembol" > wrote in message
. es...
> Thanks for all, Szaki
>

> "Szaki" > escribió en el mensaje
> news:[email protected]_s52...
> > If you going use a C-8 , a GP or GP-DX is would be an excellent mount
for
> > it. You can buy a GP mount on Astromart, for $600-$700 with Vixen
drives.
> > GP-DX is more, maybe $1200, than ship it to Europe, for $100. I think
the
> > G-11 is an over kill, unless you planning to use a heavier OTA, like a
> C-11.
> > Check out the Hungarian(close to Spain), Andras's G-41 mount for 3000
> Euro,
> > looks like a very nice mount. Very accurate, handles a C-11. Seen it
here
> > in the US as Demo, impressive. Look at those 6" worm gears.
> > http://www.astronomy.hu/
> >
> > Julius

Gembol
March 6th 04, 08:47 PM
For the information about G-41. I have seen it and now I can think more
about mounts.

"Szaki" > escribió en el mensaje
news:[email protected]_s51...
> For what?
>
> JS
>
> "Gembol" > wrote in message
> . es...
> > Thanks for all, Szaki
> >

> > "Szaki" > escribió en el mensaje
> > news:[email protected]_s52...
> > > If you going use a C-8 , a GP or GP-DX is would be an excellent mount
> for
> > > it. You can buy a GP mount on Astromart, for $600-$700 with Vixen
> drives.
> > > GP-DX is more, maybe $1200, than ship it to Europe, for $100. I think
> the
> > > G-11 is an over kill, unless you planning to use a heavier OTA, like a
> > C-11.
> > > Check out the Hungarian(close to Spain), Andras's G-41 mount for 3000
> > Euro,
> > > looks like a very nice mount. Very accurate, handles a C-11. Seen it
> here
> > > in the US as Demo, impressive. Look at those 6" worm gears.
> > > http://www.astronomy.hu/
> > >
> > > Julius

Szaki
March 7th 04, 01:17 AM
I seen it at CallStar last year.

Julius

"Gembol" > wrote in message
. es...
> For the information about G-41. I have seen it and now I can think more
> about mounts.
>

> "Szaki" > escribió en el mensaje
> news:[email protected]_s51...
> > For what?
> >
> > JS
> >
> > "Gembol" > wrote in message
> > . es...
> > > Thanks for all, Szaki
> > >

> > > "Szaki" > escribió en el mensaje
> > > news:[email protected]_s52...
> > for
> > drives.
> > the
> > > C-11.
> > > Euro,
> > here

Edward Tam
March 11th 04, 06:36 PM
I have bought the one Andras himself was using. Nice mount, good
looking, track well, relatively easy to fine tune. But I also got his
new Pular drive controller (instead of the FS-2) which had some inital
teething problem. It is quite nice now. See my site at
http://ihome.cuhk.edu.hk/~s032212/ for pics taken with it. But it has
been developed into two version (observery and portable.)

Edward Tam

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 01:17:50 GMT, "Szaki" > wrote:

>I seen it at CallStar last year.
>
>Julius
>
>"Gembol" > wrote in message
. es...
>> For the information about G-41. I have seen it and now I can think more
>> about mounts.
>>

>> "Szaki" > escribi? en el mensaje
>> news:[email protected]_s51...
>> > For what?
>> >
>> > JS
>> >
>> > "Gembol" > wrote in message
>> > . es...

>mount
>> > for
>> > drives.
>think
>> > the
>3000
>it
>> > here

________________________
| |
| Edward Tam, |
| |
| |

Mike \El dels Molins\
March 11th 04, 09:52 PM
And, I ask myself, it not cheaper to buy a Celestron CGE800 (3499 $) or the
CGE925 (3799$) ?

Custom may be the 4,5 % or 0 % if you manage clevery, and the ship may be
something 300 to 400 $ to spain. That make and amount of less than 4000
euro. Celestron is " importable" from usa, Meade is not

Mike

. es...