PDA

View Full Version : ASTRO: M65 and M66 Galaxies

Richard Crisp
February 20th 04, 05:24 AM
Last night was one of those nights where you just gotta go for it: we had
some unforecast clear skies last night between monsoons of near-biblical
proportion. We get hit again tomorrow :-(

This time of year we can get rain and clouds for two to three weeks without
any relief, so when I saw an opening last night I scrambled to get some time
logged.

I picked M65 and M66 because with the FOV I get with my ST10XME and my
AP155EDF, it frames them both nicely.

This is the first time I have shot any galaxies in a eon it seems. I
actually put away the emission line filters and used my other filter wheel
with the LRGB set (what's that dad?).

After the rain we've had lately, I expected good transparency. Turns out to
have been pretty dark, clear and the seeing was better than I expected
looking at the jetstream map.

I managed to log 5 exposures of 20 minutes each through my lum filter before
the wispy stuff rolled through again.

I decided to shoot a few darks and see what happened a bit later. When it
cleared about an hour or so later, I decided to tear down, it was getting
late and I was tired.

So here is 100 minutes worth of luminance

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/m65_m66_page.htm

CLT
February 20th 04, 05:34 AM
Hi Richard,

Nice shots!

Thanks for sharing.

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/
Lunar Picture of the Day http://www.lpod.org/
************************************

"Richard Crisp" > wrote in message
m...
> Last night was one of those nights where you just gotta go for it: we had
> some unforecast clear skies last night between monsoons of near-biblical
> proportion. We get hit again tomorrow :-(
>
> This time of year we can get rain and clouds for two to three weeks
without
> any relief, so when I saw an opening last night I scrambled to get some
time
> logged.
>
> I picked M65 and M66 because with the FOV I get with my ST10XME and my
> AP155EDF, it frames them both nicely.
>
> This is the first time I have shot any galaxies in a eon it seems. I
> actually put away the emission line filters and used my other filter wheel
> with the LRGB set (what's that dad?).
>
> After the rain we've had lately, I expected good transparency. Turns out
> have been pretty dark, clear and the seeing was better than I expected
> looking at the jetstream map.
>
> I managed to log 5 exposures of 20 minutes each through my lum filter
before
> the wispy stuff rolled through again.
>
> I decided to shoot a few darks and see what happened a bit later. When it
> cleared about an hour or so later, I decided to tear down, it was getting
> late and I was tired.
>
> So here is 100 minutes worth of luminance
>
> http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/m65_m66_page.htm

Doink
February 20th 04, 07:21 AM
Hi Richard

I moved FROM Castro Valley after 20 years about 5 years ago. How can you
EVER get a clear night? Summer is the worse! It finally warms up and the
fog rolls in. Anyway, your shots were great...

Doink

"CLT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi Richard,
>
> Nice shots!
>
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> Chuck Taylor
> Do you observe the moon?
> Try the Lunar Observing Group
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/
> Lunar Picture of the Day http://www.lpod.org/
> ************************************
>
> "Richard Crisp" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Last night was one of those nights where you just gotta go for it: we
had
> > some unforecast clear skies last night between monsoons of near-biblical
> > proportion. We get hit again tomorrow :-(
> >
> > This time of year we can get rain and clouds for two to three weeks
> without
> > any relief, so when I saw an opening last night I scrambled to get some
> time
> > logged.
> >
> > I picked M65 and M66 because with the FOV I get with my ST10XME and my
> > AP155EDF, it frames them both nicely.
> >
> > This is the first time I have shot any galaxies in a eon it seems. I
> > actually put away the emission line filters and used my other filter
wheel
> > with the LRGB set (what's that dad?).
> >
> > After the rain we've had lately, I expected good transparency. Turns out
> > have been pretty dark, clear and the seeing was better than I expected
> > looking at the jetstream map.
> >
> > I managed to log 5 exposures of 20 minutes each through my lum filter
> before
> > the wispy stuff rolled through again.
> >
> > I decided to shoot a few darks and see what happened a bit later. When
it
> > cleared about an hour or so later, I decided to tear down, it was
getting
> > late and I was tired.
> >
> > So here is 100 minutes worth of luminance
> >
> > http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/m65_m66_page.htm

Richard Crisp
February 20th 04, 03:37 PM
"Doink" > wrote in message
> Hi Richard
>
> I moved FROM Castro Valley after 20 years about 5 years ago. How can you
> EVER get a clear night? Summer is the worse! It finally warms up and the
> fog rolls in. Anyway, your shots were great...
>
> Doink

Where did you move to, Doink? Are you still in the area? Glad you liked the
shot.

We moved here about 3 years ago from San Jose. You are right about the
summers: the marine layer is tough.

I end up doing Fremont Peak and some of the other mountain tops when the
summer marine layer is back.

The fall and spring and winter aren't too bad except for the rain.

I guess I get 5-10 or so nights per month of clear skies; but obviously it
varies.

socalsw
February 20th 04, 06:35 PM
"Richard Crisp" > wrote in message >...
> Last night was one of those nights where you just gotta go for it: we had
> some unforecast clear skies last night between monsoons of near-biblical
> proportion. We get hit again tomorrow :-(

[snip]
> So here is 100 minutes worth of luminance
>
> http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/m65_m66_page.htm

Very nice shot. I particularly liked the detail you were able to get.
I remember last spring trying to locate M65 and M66 with my 60mm.
Not a very good scope, mounted on a camera tripod (the one included
fell apart within 3 months). But locating them was satisfying, even
though I had to verify with my starmap that the two small fuzzy dots
that I saw were galaxies and not stars! I have since upgraded scopes,
and if the rain in socal leaves soon (though we do need it), I will
see what they look like in a 4.5" scope.

Erik
socalsw

Richard Crisp
February 20th 04, 07:15 PM
"socalsw" > wrote in message
om...
> "Richard Crisp" > wrote in message
> > Last night was one of those nights where you just gotta go for it: we
had
> > some unforecast clear skies last night between monsoons of near-biblical
> > proportion. We get hit again tomorrow :-(
>
> [snip]
> > So here is 100 minutes worth of luminance
> >
> > http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/m65_m66_page.htm
>
> Very nice shot. I particularly liked the detail you were able to get.
> I remember last spring trying to locate M65 and M66 with my 60mm.
> Not a very good scope, mounted on a camera tripod (the one included
> fell apart within 3 months). But locating them was satisfying, even

Thanks, the seeing was better than average the night I took them, even
though I shot them fairly early in the evening before they rose very high.
The transparency was good too, we'd had about 7 days of rain/clouds
preceeding it. The day or two before had been pretty windy too, so my theory
is the weather swished the smog out of the valley....

Bill Meyers
February 20th 04, 08:41 PM
Hi, Richard,
Another great image! Keep them coming! You are keeping SAA alive.
How is your CPT18 working out? I understand you have found a way to have it
function as both a Newtonian and a Cassegrain? When you have a chance, could
you post pictures of this set up, or pictures taken with it? When you have a
chance.
Ciao,
Bill Meyers

Richard Crisp wrote:

> Last night was one of those nights where you just gotta go for it: we had
> some unforecast clear skies last night between monsoons of near-biblical
> proportion. We get hit again tomorrow :-(
>
> This time of year we can get rain and clouds for two to three weeks without
> any relief, so when I saw an opening last night I scrambled to get some time
> logged.
>
> I picked M65 and M66 because with the FOV I get with my ST10XME and my
> AP155EDF, it frames them both nicely.
>
> This is the first time I have shot any galaxies in a eon it seems. I
> actually put away the emission line filters and used my other filter wheel
> with the LRGB set (what's that dad?).
>
> After the rain we've had lately, I expected good transparency. Turns out to
> have been pretty dark, clear and the seeing was better than I expected
> looking at the jetstream map.
>
> I managed to log 5 exposures of 20 minutes each through my lum filter before
> the wispy stuff rolled through again.
>
> I decided to shoot a few darks and see what happened a bit later. When it
> cleared about an hour or so later, I decided to tear down, it was getting
> late and I was tired.
>
> So here is 100 minutes worth of luminance
>
> http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/m65_m66_page.htm

Richard Crisp
February 20th 04, 09:12 PM
"Bill Meyers" > wrote in message
> Hi, Richard,
> Another great image! Keep them coming! You are keeping SAA alive.
> How is your CPT18 working out? I understand you have found a way to
have it
> function as both a Newtonian and a Cassegrain? When you have a chance,
could
> you post pictures of this set up, or pictures taken with it? When you have
> chance.
> Ciao,

Thanks Bill.

Actually just yesterday I took delivery of the CPT18 frame. The optics are
on order with expected delivery in May or June.

I am working on solving the problem of how to support the instruments and
baffle tube with a rear endcap sort of thing.

The frame is a monster, but it fits in the backseat of my wife's car:

I snapped a couple of shots before I unloaded it. Mark Wagner of Resource
International, the maker of the frame, had requested I shoot these. They
show that it really is portable.

Full Resolution:
www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_1.jpg

www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_2.jpg

VGA resolution (640x480):

www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_1_small.jpg

www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_2_small.jpg

Bill Meyers
February 21st 04, 01:01 AM
Hello, Richard,
I went to the web site and there are great images by you but nothing on the
CPT18 seems to have arrived yet.
A couple of years ago, Ray Gralak was using a CPT18 and he achieved some
remarkable images, but there has been silence from that quarter as far as CPT
images go, as far as I know. But there is a lot I don't know since I was
turned down for membership in the TAC imaging mailing list. (This was actually a
high for me, since I had hardly ever been turned down for anything before,
except the time I flunked the Army draft exemption because of too low a score
on the written test.)
I feel I know Mark Wagner well, though we have never met. Our email
correspondence has been extensive. He is a classy guy and stands behind his
products. I own a CPT10. The quality of the CNC machining work on it is
excellent. The First Base mount works wonderfully. The CPTs do indeed collapse
into a very small volume for transport, and they are easily set up for
observing. I think you will like the CPT18, but as you imply, the folding
aluminum OTAs are not lightweight, just a remarkably compact precision OTA with
a remarkably compact and very stable First Base mount, in the case of the
CPT10..
I look forward to the arrival of the CPT18 photos on darkhorizons, and to
hearing your experience with it.
Clear skies to you. You use them well.
Bill Meyers

Richard Crisp wrote:

> "Bill Meyers" > wrote in message
> > Hi, Richard,
> > Another great image! Keep them coming! You are keeping SAA alive.
> > How is your CPT18 working out? I understand you have found a way to
> have it
> > function as both a Newtonian and a Cassegrain? When you have a chance,
> could
> > you post pictures of this set up, or pictures taken with it? When you have
> > chance.
> > Ciao,
>
> Thanks Bill.
>
> Actually just yesterday I took delivery of the CPT18 frame. The optics are
> on order with expected delivery in May or June.
>
> I am working on solving the problem of how to support the instruments and
> baffle tube with a rear endcap sort of thing.
>
> The frame is a monster, but it fits in the backseat of my wife's car:
>
> I snapped a couple of shots before I unloaded it. Mark Wagner of Resource
> International, the maker of the frame, had requested I shoot these. They
> show that it really is portable.
>
> Full Resolution:
> www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_1.jpg
>
> www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_2.jpg
>
> VGA resolution (640x480):
>
> www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_1_small.jpg
>
> www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_2_small.jpg

Richard Crisp
February 21st 04, 01:32 AM
I am puzzled that the links below did not work for you. Is that what you are
saying?

Full Resolution:
www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_1.jpg

www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_2.jpg

VGA resolution (640x480):

www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_1_small.jpg

www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_2_small.jpg

I sent you an email separately addressing some of the other comments you
made.

Best
Richard

> [...]
chance,
> > could
> > > you post pictures of this set up, or pictures taken with it? When you
have
> > > chance.
> > > Ciao,
> >
> > Thanks Bill.
> >
> > Actually just yesterday I took delivery of the CPT18 frame. The optics
are
> > on order with expected delivery in May or June.
> >
> > I am working on solving the problem of how to support the instruments
and
> > baffle tube with a rear endcap sort of thing.
> >
> > The frame is a monster, but it fits in the backseat of my wife's car:
> >
> > I snapped a couple of shots before I unloaded it. Mark Wagner of
Resource
> > International, the maker of the frame, had requested I shoot these. They

February 21st 04, 03:43 AM
Yep, I have got to rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images several times, but can't seem
to find the CPT18 images among your other images, neither among "new images" nor
"latest images" nor "equipment." . I may be missing something, but I am for
sure at the right web site. I have not received your email either. (We may be in
parallel universes, that probably explains it.) My email address is my name
substituted for the name of the constellation.
Ciao,
Bill Meyers

Richard Crisp wrote:

> [...]
> > Clear skies to you. You use them well.
> > Bill Meyers
> >

> > Richard Crisp wrote:

> > > have it
> chance,
> > > could
> have
> > >
> > > Thanks Bill.
> > >
> > > Actually just yesterday I took delivery of the CPT18 frame. The optics
> are
> > > on order with expected delivery in May or June.
> > >
> > > I am working on solving the problem of how to support the instruments
> and
> > > baffle tube with a rear endcap sort of thing.
> > >
> > > The frame is a monster, but it fits in the backseat of my wife's car:
> > >
> > > I snapped a couple of shots before I unloaded it. Mark Wagner of
> Resource
> > > International, the maker of the frame, had requested I shoot these. They

February 21st 04, 03:50 AM
well i did not put any hyperlinks to the images on my webpage. I just gave
hard links

do these work?

Full Resolution:
www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_1.jpg
www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_2.jpg

VGA resolution (640x480):
www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_1_small.jpg
www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/CPT18_bmw540_2_small.jpg

When you described your email address, you weren't specific enough for me to
decode. Is the name that is substituted for the constellation your first
name, last name or them concatenated together?

> [...]
> > > correspondence has been extensive. He is a classy guy and stands
behind
> > his
> > > products. I own a CPT10. The quality of the CNC machining work on it
is
> > > excellent. The First Base mount works wonderfully. The CPTs do indeed
> > collapse
> > > into a very small volume for transport, and they are easily set up for
> > > observing. I think you will like the CPT18, but as you imply, the
folding
> > > aluminum OTAs are not lightweight, just a remarkably compact
precision
> > OTA with
> > > a remarkably compact and very stable First Base mount, in the case of
the
> > > CPT10..
> > > I look forward to the arrival of the CPT18 photos on

February 21st 04, 04:35 AM
Hi, Richard,
my first name, then a dot, then my last name, then an at, then you see.
All lower case as befits my understated personality. . Mark has my email
address as well.
I had never thought of the difference between a hyperlink and a hard link
or even understood the difference. Guess they won't be taking the trouble to
send my job to India. I cut and pasted the hard links and the photos came up.
Quite a beautiful OTA, and remarkable that an OTA can fit into the back seat of
a small car.
Cordially,
Bill Meyers