PDA

View Full Version : Foveon's revolutionary X3 sensor

Szaki
February 13th 04, 09:21 PM
Would this new chip revolutionise ccd-astronomy also? It uses fulll colour
layered sensor array!
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0202/02021101foveonx3.asp

Julius

Ian Stirling
February 14th 04, 05:48 PM
Szaki > wrote:
> Would this new chip revolutionise ccd-astronomy also? It uses fulll colour
> layered sensor array!
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0202/02021101foveonx3.asp

The chip, probably not.
The concept, maybe in 10-30 years.

Richard Crisp
February 15th 04, 03:57 AM
the dark currents are very high, there is cross talk between the color
channels that needs to be filtered via DSP techniques.

the price of the sensor is higher than the same area made by conventional
techniques.

"Szaki" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s53...
> Would this new chip revolutionise ccd-astronomy also? It uses fulll colour
> layered sensor array!
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0202/02021101foveonx3.asp
>
> Julius

Szaki
February 15th 04, 09:46 PM
I've seen some of the photos, taken with the Sigma ?ds10 camera, using the
X3 chip. Very impressive. Can do 10 MegPixel. Very smooth color.

JS

"Richard Crisp" > wrote in message
. com...
> the dark currents are very high, there is cross talk between the color
> channels that needs to be filtered via DSP techniques.
>
> the price of the sensor is higher than the same area made by conventional
> techniques.
>

> "Szaki" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]_s53...
> > Would this new chip revolutionise ccd-astronomy also? It uses fulll
colour
> > layered sensor array!
> > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0202/02021101foveonx3.asp
> >
> > Julius

George Normandin
February 27th 04, 02:04 AM
"Szaki" <> wrote

> I've seen some of the photos, taken with the Sigma ?ds10 camera, using the
> X3 chip. Very impressive. Can do 10 MegPixel. Very smooth color.
>
> JS

I'd like to see some astro images taken with the Sigma or Xerox cameras
that use this chip. The camera mag's gave the new Sigma SLR a good write-up
this month and the idea of the higher resolution over a matrix type of color
chip with same size pixels is interesting. Of course the bottom line is how
'fast' is it compared to say a Sony chip? I suppose that being a CMOS chip
means that it has a high dark current? I would certainly hope that someone
like SBIG gets a chip for testing and let's us know what they think.

George Normandin