PDA

View Full Version : C/2002/T7 Tail 30 Arc Minutes Long Now

Dennis Persyk
January 19th 04, 11:42 PM
Images at
http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm

The comet is slowly brightening and the tail is lengthening
perceptibly each night. This is a very dynamic imaging target now!

Clear skies,

Dennis Persyk
Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
Hampshire, IL

Szaki
January 20th 04, 07:42 AM
My Stary Night pro not showing the comet,I had it updated to the latest
data.

RA= 0.373 D= 20.14 on the 01/19/04

Is this the location, in Pieces?

Julius

"Dennis Persyk" > wrote in message
om...
> Images at
> http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
>
> The comet is slowly brightening and the tail is lengthening
> perceptibly each night. This is a very dynamic imaging target now!
>
> Clear skies,
>
> Dennis Persyk
> Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
> Hampshire, IL

Dennis Persyk
January 20th 04, 06:45 PM
Yes, it was in Pisces at exactly the coordinates you found. Each
planetarium program names the comets in a slightly different way. You
are looking for C/2002 T7 LINEAR. It should be in the list.

Clear skies,

Dennis

"Szaki" > wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s54>...
> My Stary Night pro not showing the comet,I had it updated to the latest
> data.
>
> RA= 0.373 D= 20.14 on the 01/19/04
>
> Is this the location, in Pieces?
>
> Julius
>
> "Dennis Persyk" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Images at
> > http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
> >
> > The comet is slowly brightening and the tail is lengthening
> > perceptibly each night. This is a very dynamic imaging target now!
> >
> > Clear skies,
> >
> > Dennis Persyk
> > Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
> > Hampshire, IL

astroguy
January 23rd 04, 10:53 PM
"Jack Schmidling" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Dennis Persyk"
>
> > Images at
> > http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
> >
> > The comet is slowly brightening and the tail is lengthening
> > perceptibly each night. This is a very dynamic imaging target now!
>
> Welcome to the group Dennis. In case I did not make myself clear, you are
> permitted to post images directly (attach) in this ng. That doesn't help
> much when you have a page full of stuff but just wanted to make sure you
> know.

well, in fact it is not allowed to post images in this group, use
alt.binaries.pictures.astro for that.

> Nice comet pics but I do not understand the difference between the two
> images. One has pin point stars and the other has long trails with an
> accent at one end and the time exposure time difference does not seem to
> explain things.

the difference is that one photo is guided, the other not. AFAIK

Dennis Persyk
January 24th 04, 04:09 AM
"astroguy" > wrote in message >...
> "Jack Schmidling" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "Dennis Persyk"
> >
> > > Images at
> > > http://home.att.net/~dpersyk/new.htm
> > >
> > > The comet is slowly brightening and the tail is lengthening
> > > perceptibly each night. This is a very dynamic imaging target now!
> >
> > Welcome to the group Dennis. In case I did not make myself clear, you are
> > permitted to post images directly (attach) in this ng. That doesn't help
> > much when you have a page full of stuff but just wanted to make sure you
> > know.
>
> well, in fact it is not allowed to post images in this group, use
> alt.binaries.pictures.astro for that.
>
> > Nice comet pics but I do not understand the difference between the two
> > images. One has pin point stars and the other has long trails with an
> > accent at one end and the time exposure time difference does not seem to
> > explain things.
>
> the difference is that one photo is guided, the other not. AFAIK

The comet is moving with respect to the stars. When I stack several
images to improve the signal to noise ratio, I can either align on the
stars and get a blurry comet or align on the comet head and get
trailed stars. I like to show both kinds of stacked images.

Dennis