PDA

View Full Version : PHOTO OF THE WEEK, M33 Hires

Jack Schmidling
January 13th 04, 08:24 PM
This week we continue our tour of the Pinwheel Galaxy in Triangulum with a
high resolution color image taken through the 10" telescope

js

PHOTO OF THE WEEK... http://schmidling.netfirms.com/weekly.htm
HOME, Astro, Beer, Cheese, http://schmidling.netfirms.com

Kevin Rehberg
January 14th 04, 03:27 AM
"Jack Schmidling" > wrote in message
om

> This week we continue our tour of the Pinwheel Galaxy in Triangulum with a
> high resolution color image taken through the 10" telescope
>
> js

Great job, Jack! You do a fantastic job, especially given the weather
in our area of late. Of course, every winter is bad for observing
in Northern Illinois, but that just makes it more impressive that you
get the shot.

Eric
January 16th 04, 04:49 AM
Jack Schmidling wrote:

> This week we continue our tour of the Pinwheel Galaxy in Triangulum with a
> high resolution color image taken through the 10" telescope
>
> js
>
> PHOTO OF THE WEEK... http://schmidling.netfirms.com/weekly.htm
> HOME, Astro, Beer, Cheese, http://schmidling.netfirms.com

You took that with a 4 1/2 inch telescope? Thats very impressive! How do you
get it to come out so good? I've got a 4.5 and most of what i see is not
too great. I spent awhile looking at Mars when it was closest back in
December and i think i could see the polar icecap. I found Saturn and can
see the rings but its pretty small. I dont think i can see Saturns moons,
or Mars moons either. I'm still waiting for a decent night and then i plan
to hunt down Jupiter if its above the horizon, i also want to take a
closeup look at the Moon (ours). Its tough finding good conditions here,
I'm in Olympia WA, the Great North Wet.
Eric

Richard Crisp
January 16th 04, 01:00 PM
"Eric" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...
> Jack Schmidling wrote:
>
> > This week we continue our tour of the Pinwheel Galaxy in Triangulum with
> > high resolution color image taken through the 10" telescope
> >
> > js
> >
> > PHOTO OF THE WEEK... http://schmidling.netfirms.com/weekly.htm
> > HOME, Astro, Beer, Cheese, http://schmidling.netfirms.com
>
> You took that with a 4 1/2 inch telescope? Thats very impressive! How do
you
> get it to come out so good? I've got a 4.5 and most of what i see is not
> too great. I spent awhile looking at Mars when it was closest back in

M33 is a large object and that means you need low magnification to get its
full extent in a single image frame, particularly so if your imaging sensor
is smallish.

For visual work you can use different eyepieces to get different fields of
view, but for imaging with a single camera, you usually have to use
different focal length scopes and or focal reducers/barlows to get an
optimum framing of the object you intend to image.

For M33 and the even larger M31, usually the problem is how to get such a
short focal length so that it will all fit in a single field of view. The
solution to that is often using a small diameter refractor, particularly so
if your sensor in the camera is not too big.

Although it may seem odd, the 4" refractor is nearly ideal for many many
large objects. Included in the list is M31, M33, M45, M101, M42/M43,
Flame/Horsehead, IC1396, Rosette, The Veil and a host of other large,
extended objects.

Jack does a great job with his system and I always enjoy seeing his images.

best regards
Richard

Richard Crisp
January 16th 04, 01:03 PM
"Eric" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...
> Jack Schmidling wrote:
>
> > This week we continue our tour of the Pinwheel Galaxy in Triangulum with
> > high resolution color image taken through the 10" telescope
> >
> > js
> >
> > PHOTO OF THE WEEK... http://schmidling.netfirms.com/weekly.htm
> > HOME, Astro, Beer, Cheese, http://schmidling.netfirms.com
>
> You took that with a 4 1/2 inch telescope? Thats very impressive! How do
you
> get it to come out so good? I've got a 4.5 and most of what i see is not
> too great. I spent awhile looking at Mars when it was closest back in

M33 is a large object and that means you need low magnification to get its
full extent in a single image frame, particularly so if your imaging sensor
is smallish.

For visual work you can use different eyepieces to get different fields of
view, but for imaging with a single camera, you usually have to use
different focal length scopes and or focal reducers/barlows to get an
optimum framing of the object you intend to image.

For M33 and the even larger M31, usually the problem is how to get such a
short focal length so that it will all fit in a single field of view. The
solution to that is often using a small diameter refractor, particularly so
if your sensor in the camera is not too big.

Although it may seem odd, the 4" refractor is nearly ideal for many many
large objects. Included in the list is M31, M33, M45, M101, M42/M43,
Flame/Horsehead, IC1396, Rosette, The Veil and a host of other large,
extended objects.

Jack does a great job with his system and I always enjoy seeing his images.

best regards
Richard

wijsneus
January 18th 04, 10:34 PM
"Eric" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...
> Jack Schmidling wrote:
>
> > This week we continue our tour of the Pinwheel Galaxy in Triangulum with
> > high resolution color image taken through the 10" telescope
> >
> > js
> >
> > PHOTO OF THE WEEK... http://schmidling.netfirms.com/weekly.htm
> > HOME, Astro, Beer, Cheese, http://schmidling.netfirms.com
>
> You took that with a 4 1/2 inch telescope?

no, according to his website, he took it with a 10" and juxtaposed it with a
widefield image taken with a 4.5"

wijsneus
January 18th 04, 10:36 PM
"Eric" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s03...
> Jack Schmidling wrote:
>
> > This week we continue our tour of the Pinwheel Galaxy in Triangulum with
> > high resolution color image taken through the 10" telescope
> >
> > js
> >
> > PHOTO OF THE WEEK... http://schmidling.netfirms.com/weekly.htm
> > HOME, Astro, Beer, Cheese, http://schmidling.netfirms.com
>
> You took that with a 4 1/2 inch telescope? Thats very impressive! How do
you
> get it to come out so good? I've got a 4.5 and most of what i see is not
> too great. I spent awhile looking at Mars when it was closest back in
> December and i think i could see the polar icecap.

Mars was closest back in august, not in december

> I found Saturn and can
> see the rings but its pretty small. I dont think i can see Saturns moons,
> or Mars moons either.

I have a 4" mak, and I can see Titan easily. You should be able to see it
too.

> I'm still waiting for a decent night and then i plan
> to hunt down Jupiter if its above the horizon, i also want to take a
> closeup look at the Moon (ours). Its tough finding good conditions here,
> I'm in Olympia WA, the Great North Wet.
> Eric

the moon is awesome, and Saturn and Jupiter too. You will enjoy them in your
scope. have fun!

wijsneus
January 19th 04, 10:04 PM
"Jack Schmidling" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "wijsneus" >
>
> > > You took that with a 4 1/2 inch telescope?
> >
> > no, according to his website, he took it with a 10" and juxtaposed it
with
> > widefield image taken with a 4.5"
>
> Roger. I was not sure which image "that" referred to.
>
> For the full resolution of M33 with the 4.25", go to
> http://schmidling.netfirms.com/m33.htm
>
> Well, it's not actually full resolution as I never post them because of
> download time but it is the way I posted it several weeks ago.

well, that's an awesome picture, and the fact you took it with a 4.25" makes
it even more impressive!