PDA

View Full Version : ASTRO: revised Crab morph animation

Richard Crisp
January 13th 04, 04:57 PM
At the suggestion of a couple of associates, I did a redo of the Crab Morph
and added some details about it on my website.

This animation is a morphing of an image of the Crab Nebula taken by me
through narrowband emission line filters ([SII], Ha and [OIII]) with a
composite image from the Chandra website created by combining Radio, Optical
and XRAY data. Credits for the composite image are:
(Credits: X-ray: NASA/CXC/ASU/J. Hester et al.; Optical: NASA/HST/ASU/J.
Hester et al.; Radio: VLA/NRAO)

In the case of the emission line images, Red= [SII], Ha= Green and [OIII]=
Blue. For the Composite image, Red= Radio, Green= Optical, Blue= XRAY.

The animation with several relevant hyperlinks can be found here:

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/crab_morph_page.htm

It is interesting to me to watch how the optical regions transform into
radio and xray emitting regions as the animation progresses. From the
perspective of visualization of the physical processes at work in The Crab,
I suspect this sort of composite and morphing is very useful.

Richard Crisp

Harry Leopold
January 13th 04, 08:53 PM
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:57:24 -0600, Richard Crisp wrote
(in message >):

> At the suggestion of a couple of associates, I did a redo of the Crab Morph
> and added some details about it on my website.
>
> This animation is a morphing of an image of the Crab Nebula taken by me
> through narrowband emission line filters ([SII], Ha and [OIII]) with a
> composite image from the Chandra website created by combining Radio, Optical
> and XRAY data. Credits for the composite image are:
> (Credits: X-ray: NASA/CXC/ASU/J. Hester et al.; Optical: NASA/HST/ASU/J.
> Hester et al.; Radio: VLA/NRAO)
>
> In the case of the emission line images, Red= [SII], Ha= Green and [OIII]=
> Blue. For the Composite image, Red= Radio, Green= Optical, Blue= XRAY.
>
> The animation with several relevant hyperlinks can be found here:
>
> http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/crab_morph_page.htm
>
> It is interesting to me to watch how the optical regions transform into
> radio and xray emitting regions as the animation progresses. From the
> perspective of visualization of the physical processes at work in The Crab,
> I suspect this sort of composite and morphing is very useful.
>
> Richard Crisp

I think it is much better than your first try, which I still like. Damned
hypnotic to watch, but it certainly helps a person see what is powering, and
feeding, what.

--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076

"You think atoms like having a half-life?"
Incenjucar

Alan Chen
January 14th 04, 02:39 AM
Hi Richard,

That's fantastic! Enjoyed the show!

Alan

"Richard Crisp" > wrote in message
> At the suggestion of a couple of associates, I did a redo of the Crab
Morph
> and added some details about it on my website.
>
> This animation is a morphing of an image of the Crab Nebula taken by me
> through narrowband emission line filters ([SII], Ha and [OIII]) with a
> composite image from the Chandra website created by combining Radio,
Optical
> and XRAY data. Credits for the composite image are:
> (Credits: X-ray: NASA/CXC/ASU/J. Hester et al.; Optical: NASA/HST/ASU/J.
> Hester et al.; Radio: VLA/NRAO)
>
> In the case of the emission line images, Red= [SII], Ha= Green and [OIII]=
> Blue. For the Composite image, Red= Radio, Green= Optical, Blue= XRAY.
>
> The animation with several relevant hyperlinks can be found here:
>
> http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/crab_morph_page.htm
>
> It is interesting to me to watch how the optical regions transform into
> radio and xray emitting regions as the animation progresses. From the
> perspective of visualization of the physical processes at work in The
Crab,
> I suspect this sort of composite and morphing is very useful.
>
> Richard Crisp

Michael McNeil
January 14th 04, 12:05 PM
"Alan Chen" > wrote in message