PDA

View Full Version : ASTRO: Animation of Crab using Chandra Xray, Radio, Optical and emission line images

Richard Crisp
January 12th 04, 01:37 PM
There is a neat image of the Crab made using Radio=Red, Optical = Green and
XRAY = Blue here:

http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2002/0052/0052_xray_opt_radio.jpg

I took the image, rotated it and stretched it to overlay my recently
reported crab shot with emission line filters where [SII] = Red, Ha = Green
and [OIII] = Blue

Once I did that I decided to animate a morphing between the two images. It
is sort of interesting to watch the various structures transform. Some
completely disappear or reappear, while others just transform their color
and or shape.

Warning: this was my first animation. I used Adobe Image Ready. For some
reason it makes the image sort of grainy. Maybe I can figure out how to fix
it. If anyone has some suggestions for addressing the graininess or has
other ideas
of how to do the morphing/animation, please tell me!

here is a link to the file on my website. It is about 2.2MB.

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/Crab_radio_emission_xray.gif

Comments welcome

Clear Skies,
Richard

Trane Francks
January 12th 04, 01:41 PM
On 01/12/04 22:37 +0900, Richard Crisp wrote:

> here is a link to the file on my website. It is about 2.2MB.
>
> http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/Crab_radio_emission_xray.gif

Man, that is just wickedly cool! Absolutely surreal! :-D

trane
// Trane Francks Tokyo, Japan

Harry Leopold
January 12th 04, 04:33 PM
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 7:41:19 -0600, Trane Francks wrote
(in message >):

> From: Trane Francks >
> Newsgroups: alt.binaries.pictures.astro, sci.astro.ccd-imaging, sci.astro,
> sci.astro.amateur
>
> On 01/12/04 22:37 +0900, Richard Crisp wrote:
>
>> here is a link to the file on my website. It is about 2.2MB.
>>
>> http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/Crab_radio_emission_xray.gif
>
> Man, that is just wickedly cool! Absolutely surreal! :-D
>
> trane

That it is, indeed. I like it!

It is amazing how much the wave-length the shot is taken in changes
everything.

(Makes me wonder just how much such an animation would show if someone were
to take some of the shots of the Crab that go back a few decades, I know that
it is expanding, but wouldn't it be wild to actually *see* it right in front
of you?)

--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076

The Internet is full, we can not accept any more posts until further
notice. Thank you. - Kalinka Djnepropetrovska

Richard Crisp
January 12th 04, 06:11 PM
"Harry Leopold" > wrote in message
. cox.net...
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 7:41:19 -0600, Trane Francks wrote
> (in message >):
>
> > From: Trane Francks >
> > Newsgroups: alt.binaries.pictures.astro, sci.astro.ccd-imaging,
sci.astro,
> > sci.astro.amateur
> >
> > On 01/12/04 22:37 +0900, Richard Crisp wrote:
> >
> >> here is a link to the file on my website. It is about 2.2MB.
> >>
> >> http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/images/Crab_radio_emission_xray.gif
> >
> > Man, that is just wickedly cool! Absolutely surreal! :-D
> >
> > trane
>
> That it is, indeed. I like it!

I am glad you guys liked it.

> It is amazing how much the wave-length the shot is taken in changes
> everything.
>
> (Makes me wonder just how much such an animation would show if someone
were
> to take some of the shots of the Crab that go back a few decades, I know
that
> it is expanding, but wouldn't it be wild to actually *see* it right in
front
> of you?)

I heard such an animation exists, but I've not seen it. Someone just told me
about it this morning. I understand the data began with an early 1950s shot
from Palomar and it adds data taken afterwards.

Best regards
Richard

Harry Leopold
January 12th 04, 06:47 PM
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:11:37 -0600, Richard Crisp wrote
(in message >):

snip

>>> Man, that is just wickedly cool! Absolutely surreal! :-D
>>>
>>> trane
>>
>> That it is, indeed. I like it!
>
> I am glad you guys liked it.

I did, I kept it running on my other monitor for a good hour just watching it
while reading the NG on the other monitor. I will go back and grab it again
once Diane gets up, she will want to see it as well.

>> It is amazing how much the wave-length the shot is taken in changes
>> everything.
>>
>> (Makes me wonder just how much such an animation would show if someone were
>> to take some of the shots of the Crab that go back a few decades, I know
>> that
>> it is expanding, but wouldn't it be wild to actually *see* it right in
>> front
>> of you?)
>>

> I heard such an animation exists, but I've not seen it. Someone just told me
> about it this morning. I understand the data began with an early 1950s shot
> from Palomar and it adds data taken afterwards.

If you ever found it, let us know, I am sure that I am not the only one who
would be interested in seeing it.

--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076

"Nothing can stand up to atheistic critical examination. You guys are the
proctologists of Religion." - angelicusrex

George Normandin
January 16th 04, 08:26 PM
"Richard Crisp" <> wrote

> There is a neat image of the Crab made using Radio=Red, Optical = Green
and
> XRAY = Blue here:
>
> http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2002/0052/0052_xray_opt_radio.jpg

Richard, et al:

That image pretty much knocked my socks off when it was first released!
:)

> I took the image, rotated it and stretched it to overlay my recently
> reported crab shot.........

That's *really* cool! :)

> Warning: this was my first animation. I used Adobe Image Ready. For some
> reason it makes the image sort of grainy. Maybe I can figure out how to
fix
> it. If anyone has some suggestions for addressing the graininess or has
> other ideas
> of how to do the morphing/animation, please tell me!

I think that the graininess comes from the result being a GIF file. Can
your software produce AVI or MPG? I would bet that either of these would
work better.

George Normandin

Chuck Taylor
January 16th 04, 08:44 PM
Nice!

> (Makes me wonder just how much such an animation would show if someone
were
> to take some of the shots of the Crab that go back a few decades, I know
that
> it is expanding, but wouldn't it be wild to actually *see* it right in
front
> of you?)

I remember seeing b&W photos with a positive with a much later negative
overlaid. Without expansion, the two would have covered each other. But they
didn't and the light areas showed the expansion.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/

> --
> Harry F. Leopold
> aa #2076
> AA/Vet #4
> The Prints of Darkness
>
> The Internet is full, we can not accept any more posts until further
> notice. Thank you. - Kalinka Djnepropetrovska

Harry Leopold
January 16th 04, 11:30 PM
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:44:17 -0600, Chuck Taylor wrote
(in message >):

> From: "Chuck Taylor" >
> Newsgroups: alt.binaries.pictures.astro, sci.astro.ccd-imaging, sci.astro,
> sci.astro.amateur
>
> Nice!
>
>> (Makes me wonder just how much such an animation would show if someone were
>> to take some of the shots of the Crab that go back a few decades, I know
>> that
>> it is expanding, but wouldn't it be wild to actually *see* it right in
>> front
>> of you?)
>
> I remember seeing b&W photos with a positive with a much later negative
> overlaid. Without expansion, the two would have covered each other. But they
> didn't and the light areas showed the expansion.

Yes, I remember seeing that.

--
Harry F. Leopold
aa #2076

"I've heard myself say a lot of vocal things, but I've never heard myself
think." - Duke32