PDA

View Full Version : Anybody found P/Encke?

David Birnbaum
November 13th 03, 09:49 AM
I've been looking over that last two weeks for comet P/Encke, but am not
having much luck finding it at or near the coordinates published my the
Minor Planet Center. Has anyone seen it, or better photographed it?

Dave Birnbaum

Tony Rowsby
November 13th 03, 10:09 AM
Carsten Arnholm has!
Have a look at http://home.online.no/~arnholm/astro/astro.htm

BR

Tony

"David Birnbaum" > wrote in message
. com...
> I've been looking over that last two weeks for comet P/Encke, but am not
> having much luck finding it at or near the coordinates published my the
> Minor Planet Center. Has anyone seen it, or better photographed it?
>
> Dave Birnbaum

David Brown
November 13th 03, 07:10 PM
>"David Birnbaum" > wrote in message
. com...
>> I've been looking over that last two weeks for comet P/Encke, but am not
>> having much luck finding it at or near the coordinates published my the
>> Minor Planet Center. Has anyone seen it, or better photographed it?
>>
>> Dave Birnbaum

I managed to get a few images back on the 17 Oct 2003. It is moving
pretty quickly so you need the latest positions. Have a look at:
http://astrodave.no-ip.com

Leonard
November 14th 03, 04:22 AM
I tried spotting it visually without luck.
I shot it last month.
Predicted magnitude was ~12.
Calculated magnitude ~15.5 based on astometry.
This was on the night of 10/16/03

Leonard

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:49:52 GMT, "David Birnbaum"
> wrote:

>I've been looking over that last two weeks for comet P/Encke, but am not
>having much luck finding it at or near the coordinates published my the
>Minor Planet Center. Has anyone seen it, or better photographed it?
>
>Dave Birnbaum

Mark Crossley
November 14th 03, 12:08 PM
I imaged it back on Oct 23rd, it was faint and fast!
http://www.aozc64.dsl.pipex.com/astro/Pictures/2P-Encke-1a.gif

Mark

"David Birnbaum" > wrote in message
. com...
> I've been looking over that last two weeks for comet P/Encke, but am not
> having much luck finding it at or near the coordinates published my the
> Minor Planet Center. Has anyone seen it, or better photographed it?
>
> Dave Birnbaum

Carsten A. Arnholm
November 14th 03, 11:04 PM
Hi Tony,

That's true.... :-)

I also updated my site with an image taken October 25. I had forgotton to
reference it from HTML. The Oct 25 image shows the tail of the comet.

http://home.online.no/~arnholm/astro/deepsky/comets_asteroids.htm

Clear skies
Carsten A. Arnholm
http://home.online.no/~arnholm/astro/astro.htm
N59.776 E10.457

Tony Rowsby wrote:
> Carsten Arnholm has!
> Have a look at http://home.online.no/~arnholm/astro/astro.htm
>
> BR
>
> Tony
>
> "David Birnbaum" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> I've been looking over that last two weeks for comet P/Encke, but am
>> not having much luck finding it at or near the coordinates published
>> my the Minor Planet Center. Has anyone seen it, or better
>> photographed it?
>>
>> Dave Birnbaum

Dale
December 4th 03, 04:12 PM
David Birnbaum wrote:
> I've been looking over that last two weeks for comet P/Encke, but am not
> having much luck finding it at or near the coordinates published my the
> Minor Planet Center. Has anyone seen it, or better photographed it?
>
> Dave Birnbaum

One of our group has taken some "so-so" images of P/Encke. They can be
seen at http://www.aoas.org/gallery/astrophotos?page=2