PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question.

Skymuffins
November 11th 03, 01:01 AM
Can anyone recommend a decent German EQ mount? I have an old, first
generation ETX that I want to put on a better mount. I will be upgrading to
a better scope soon, but for now I would like a multi-purpose EQ for doing
some digital camera imaging & ETX/Quickcam imaging. I would like the mount
to eventually
support a larger scope as well.

Are the EQ's that Orion has in their catalog any good... because they are
right in my budget. :)

Thanks for the help.

--
- Harrison

Peter R Hobson
November 12th 03, 09:08 AM
Takahashi EM10 or, cheaper, the Takahasi P2Z. Try to get a second hand one as
they ARE expensive but are extremely well made and track beautifully.

Dr P Hobson

Skymuffins wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a decent German EQ mount? I have an old, first
> generation ETX that I want to put on a better mount. I will be upgrading to
> a better scope soon, but for now I would like a multi-purpose EQ for doing
> some digital camera imaging & ETX/Quickcam imaging. I would like the mount
> to eventually
> support a larger scope as well.
>
> Are the EQ's that Orion has in their catalog any good... because they are
> right in my budget. :)
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> --
> - Harrison

Skymuffins
November 12th 03, 06:13 PM
"Peter R Hobson" > wrote in message
> Takahashi EM10 or, cheaper, the Takahasi P2Z. Try to get a second hand one
as
> they ARE expensive but are extremely well made and track beautifully.
>
> Dr P Hobson
>
> Skymuffins wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a decent German EQ mount? I have an old, first
> > generation ETX that I want to put on a better mount. I will be
upgrading to
> > a better scope soon, but for now I would like a multi-purpose EQ for
doing
> > some digital camera imaging & ETX/Quickcam imaging. I would like the
mount
> > to eventually
> > support a larger scope as well.
> >
> > Are the EQ's that Orion has in their catalog any good... because they
are
> > right in my budget. :)
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >
> > --
> > - Harrison

Whoa! Takahashi is a bit out of my price range! I have a Celestron C-8 that
I haven't used in a while... it needs a tune-up. I wanted a decent little
mount that would hold a fair amount of weight (20 lbs). I just want to hook
an ETX 90 to it (as the drive that mine came with has NEVER tracked worth a
darn... I like the scope though, I would also like to hook a digital camera
to it and my little quick cam and do some planetary imaging and
constellation shots. I don't need the deepsky stuff (I'm about $10 grand
shy of that kind of setup), just a moderately sturdy little mount.

David Nakamoto
November 12th 03, 07:39 PM
You might want to visit the Orion telescopes website:

http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?itemID=0&itemType=HOME_PAGE

Look at the EQ mounts. If you really are serious about not needing
something for deep sky stuff, the EQ-3 is more than passable.

But if you want a mount that might take a larger scope and for doing deep
sky stuff, look into a Vixen GP or GP-DX mount.

Good Luck!
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to Man.
It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.
It is the middle ground between light and shadow,
Between Science and superstition
And it lies between the pit of Man's fears
and the Sunlight of his knowledge.
It is the dimension of imagination.
It is an area that might be called. . . The Twilight Zone.

"Skymuffins" > wrote in message

> "Peter R Hobson" > wrote in message
> > Takahashi EM10 or, cheaper, the Takahasi P2Z. Try to get a second hand
one
> as
> > they ARE expensive but are extremely well made and track beautifully.
> >
> > Dr P Hobson
> >
> > Skymuffins wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone recommend a decent German EQ mount? I have an old, first
> > > generation ETX that I want to put on a better mount. I will be
> upgrading to
> > > a better scope soon, but for now I would like a multi-purpose EQ for
> doing
> > > some digital camera imaging & ETX/Quickcam imaging. I would like the
> mount
> > > to eventually
> > > support a larger scope as well.
> > >
> > > Are the EQ's that Orion has in their catalog any good... because they
> are
> > > right in my budget. :)
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help.
> > >
> > > --
> > > - Harrison
>

> Whoa! Takahashi is a bit out of my price range! I have a Celestron C-8
that
> I haven't used in a while... it needs a tune-up. I wanted a decent little
> mount that would hold a fair amount of weight (20 lbs). I just want to
hook
> an ETX 90 to it (as the drive that mine came with has NEVER tracked worth
> darn... I like the scope though, I would also like to hook a digital
camera
> to it and my little quick cam and do some planetary imaging and
> constellation shots. I don't need the deepsky stuff (I'm about $10 grand
> shy of that kind of setup), just a moderately sturdy little mount.

Peter R Hobson
November 12th 03, 09:24 PM
Dear Skymuffins

Well that was my view for a few years (and I had a C8 on a good Vixen GP with a
nice wooden tripod). I bought a Takahashi EM200 (even MORE expensive than those
I suggested) second hand about 18 months ago and I can only urge you to believe
me when I say that it was worth it. Long focal length telescopes are not
forgiving of cheap mounts.

I would rather a 300 telescope on a 1700 mount than the other way about.

Peter Hobson

Skymuffins wrote:

> "Peter R Hobson" > wrote in message
> > Takahashi EM10 or, cheaper, the Takahasi P2Z. Try to get a second hand one
> as
> > they ARE expensive but are extremely well made and track beautifully.
> >
> > Dr P Hobson
> >
> > Skymuffins wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone recommend a decent German EQ mount? I have an old, first
> > > generation ETX that I want to put on a better mount. I will be
> upgrading to
> > > a better scope soon, but for now I would like a multi-purpose EQ for
> doing
> > > some digital camera imaging & ETX/Quickcam imaging. I would like the
> mount
> > > to eventually
> > > support a larger scope as well.
> > >
> > > Are the EQ's that Orion has in their catalog any good... because they
> are
> > > right in my budget. :)
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help.
> > >
> > > --
> > > - Harrison
>
> Whoa! Takahashi is a bit out of my price range! I have a Celestron C-8 that
> I haven't used in a while... it needs a tune-up. I wanted a decent little
> mount that would hold a fair amount of weight (20 lbs). I just want to hook
> an ETX 90 to it (as the drive that mine came with has NEVER tracked worth a
> darn... I like the scope though, I would also like to hook a digital camera
> to it and my little quick cam and do some planetary imaging and
> constellation shots. I don't need the deepsky stuff (I'm about $10 grand
> shy of that kind of setup), just a moderately sturdy little mount.

Skymuffins
November 12th 03, 09:30 PM
Thanks Peter, for the info. That is certainly a point well taken. I would
like a mount that I can grow into...