PDA

View Full Version : Help with telescope pier on a patio......

Scott M. Petty
November 2nd 03, 11:35 PM
I'm planning to mount a telescope pier (Astro Pier) on a to be poured
concrete slab. The slab would be on a slope (although the slab obviously
would be level) and would vary between 1 and 5 feet in depth, being at least
4 feet deep under the telescope pier. The overall size of slab would be
approximately 8 x 13 feet.

Would NOT isolating the telescope pier from the rest of the slab be a
problem? If my children or dogs walk on the slab am I going to get all
sorts of vibration in the mount or is the mass of the slab such that
vibration shouldn't be a problem?

Thanks in advance!!!

Scott

Chris L Peterson
November 3rd 03, 12:01 AM
On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:35:45 -0500, "Scott M. Petty" >
wrote:

>I'm planning to mount a telescope pier (Astro Pier) on a to be poured
>concrete slab. The slab would be on a slope (although the slab obviously
>would be level) and would vary between 1 and 5 feet in depth, being at least
>4 feet deep under the telescope pier. The overall size of slab would be
>approximately 8 x 13 feet.
>
>Would NOT isolating the telescope pier from the rest of the slab be a
>problem? If my children or dogs walk on the slab am I going to get all
>sorts of vibration in the mount or is the mass of the slab such that
>vibration shouldn't be a problem?

I'd suggest putting the pier into its own footing and pouring the slab around
that, with a sand gap for isolation. You'd be surprised how much vibration gets
transmitted by solid concrete. It probably wouldn't be an issue for visual work,
but if you image, or ever plan on imaging, the vibration will likely be enough
to cause you no end of headaches.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Mitch Alsup
November 3rd 03, 03:38 AM
"Scott M. Petty" > wrote in message >...
> I'm planning to mount a telescope pier (Astro Pier) on a to be poured
> concrete slab. The slab would be on a slope (although the slab obviously
> would be level) and would vary between 1 and 5 feet in depth, being at least
> 4 feet deep under the telescope pier. The overall size of slab would be
> approximately 8 x 13 feet.
>
> Would NOT isolating the telescope pier from the rest of the slab be a
> problem? If my children or dogs walk on the slab am I going to get all
> sorts of vibration in the mount or is the mass of the slab such that
> vibration shouldn't be a problem?
>
> Thanks in advance!!!
>
> Scott

The best way to mount a pier is to isolate the pier from the rest of the pad.
I would suggest that the central pier section be cast separately, and then
fill in at least a foot between the walking slab and the pier with large
loosely fitting rocks so that the resulting waling slab is completely
isolated from the pier itself. As agregate is less expensive than concrete
thsi may also save money.

Good luck

Joe S.
November 4th 03, 02:27 AM
Is your concrete slab really going to vary from one foot to five feet THICK?
I must have read your post wrong. 8 x 13 x (1 to 5 feet) is around 10 cubic
yards of concrete -- that's a lot of concrete. What sort of forms are you
using?

Just curious.
--

----
Joe S.

"Scott M. Petty" > wrote in message
> I'm planning to mount a telescope pier (Astro Pier) on a to be poured
> concrete slab. The slab would be on a slope (although the slab obviously
> would be level) and would vary between 1 and 5 feet in depth, being at
least
> 4 feet deep under the telescope pier. The overall size of slab would be
> approximately 8 x 13 feet.
>
> Would NOT isolating the telescope pier from the rest of the slab be a
> problem? If my children or dogs walk on the slab am I going to get all
> sorts of vibration in the mount or is the mass of the slab such that
> vibration shouldn't be a problem?
>
> Thanks in advance!!!
>
> Scott

Barry Gloger
November 4th 03, 02:04 PM
"Scott M. Petty" > wrote in message >...
> I'm planning to mount a telescope pier (Astro Pier) on a to be poured
> concrete slab. The slab would be on a slope (although the slab obviously
> would be level) and would vary between 1 and 5 feet in depth, being at least
> 4 feet deep under the telescope pier. The overall size of slab would be
> approximately 8 x 13 feet.

I think you're implying that the slope of the hill is 1/2; that is a
verticle drop of 4' over 8' of ground; quite steep. Such a slope is
plastic and will tend to flow, especially when wet and supporting the
weight of a concrete slab.

Since you want to level the ground, hire a landscaping/patio
contractor and build a proper retaining wall and fill the hole with
rock and dirt as he suggests. Then pour a proper slab ( depending on
your temperature zone and subsoil - you'll probably only need 6" -
streets are built with 9" concrete and highways with 12") over
aggregate & sand, isolated from the pier as others have described.
Expect to pay $100 per cubic yard for the concrete,

Scott M. Petty
November 5th 03, 11:00 PM
Thanks so much for the responses..

I'm going to pour the pier first, surround it with a sand buffer, and then
let a concrete contractor do the rest. As many of you stated, the
contractor said that a solid slab was NOT the way to go. Instead he'll pour
a retaining wall, backfill with dirt (and drains), and pour a slab over the
dirt.

Thanks again, I sure do love the newsgroups...

Scott

om...