PDA

View Full Version : Good digital camera for astro-photos?

Brian
October 1st 03, 09:23 PM
Can anyone recommend a good digital camera which could also be used to
take some good astro pictures through a telescope? I'm thinking of
buying another scope sometime in the future but would like to buy a
digital camera now.

Also, is cold a factor? Now that it's approaching winter in the
mid-west, I wonder how a digital camera would hold up in very cold
weather. Mmm

Thanks for any info.

Robin Leadbeater
October 2nd 03, 12:27 AM
"Brian" > wrote in message
om...
> Can anyone recommend a good digital camera which could also be used to
> take some good astro pictures through a telescope? I'm thinking of
> buying another scope sometime in the future but would like to buy a
> digital camera now.
>
> Also, is cold a factor? Now that it's approaching winter in the
> mid-west, I wonder how a digital camera would hold up in very cold
> weather. Mmm
>
> Thanks for any info.

Hi Brian,

Cold weather is actually better for astrophotography with a digital camera
as it reduces the electronic noise which limits the length of exposure you
can take. The batteries can struggle though. The best place for advice on
what to buy is probably the Yahoo group digital_astro
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digital_astro

Robin

Robin Leadbeater
N54.75 W3.24
www.leadbeaterhome.fsnet.co.uk/astro.htm

Brian
October 2nd 03, 03:55 PM
Robin,

Thank you for the info and the link.

Dave
October 7th 03, 07:26 AM
hi
recommend you ask manufactorers of different cameras.

Dave
"Brian" > wrote in message
om...
> Can anyone recommend a good digital camera which could also be used to
> take some good astro pictures through a telescope? I'm thinking of
> buying another scope sometime in the future but would like to buy a
> digital camera now.
>
> Also, is cold a factor? Now that it's approaching winter in the
> mid-west, I wonder how a digital camera would hold up in very cold
> weather. Mmm
>
> Thanks for any info.

Roger Hamlett
October 10th 03, 12:52 PM
"Brian" > wrote in message
om...
> Can anyone recommend a good digital camera which could also be used to
> take some good astro pictures through a telescope? I'm thinking of
> buying another scope sometime in the future but would like to buy a
> digital camera now.
>
> Also, is cold a factor? Now that it's approaching winter in the
> mid-west, I wonder how a digital camera would hold up in very cold
> weather. Mmm
>
> Thanks for any info.
Plusses of normal digital cameras, versus 'astronomical' CCD's, are the
sensor sizes available, and the cost.
Downsides, are that generally the longest exposures are relatively short
(and limited by the thermal noise from the sensor). The noise problems are
made worse, because most reasonably priced cameras, are based on CMOS
sensors rather than CCD's. The noise improves when the camera cools, but the
battery life (already foul in some models), then declines as well. Hence a
unit that supports external power is a real 'plus'.
Fortunately, some of the better makes, have managed to control the noise
problems to levels that allow some excellent astrophotography to be done.
The 'names', with the highest success levels, are the Canon D10, D30, and
D60 models, plus the Nikon D1, D2, and a couple of the 'coolpix' models. The
Minota D7 (using an external cable release), also works quite well (the
release allows four times the exposure time to be used).
Yahoo, has a group for digital astrophotography using this type of camera,
and before spending any money, it'd be worth a look, and see the sort of
results being achieved, together with the list of 'best' cameras.

Best Wishes