PDA

View Full Version : Exposure stacking

Dave Nay
September 3rd 03, 08:53 PM
I have access to a CCD digital camera that I use at my company for
machine vision applications. I would like to use this camera for
astrophotography, but the longest duration exposure is only about 80ms.
As a programmer for my company, I have no problem writing an
application that can capture a sequence of images for stacking, but how
short of an exposure will work for stacking? In my case, there could be
100's or 1000's of images, but will they add up to enough to see anything?

Dave

Dave Nay
September 3rd 03, 08:56 PM
Dave Nay wrote:

> I have access to a CCD digital camera that I use at my company for
> machine vision applications. I would like to use this camera for
> astrophotography, but the longest duration exposure is only about 80ms.
> As a programmer for my company, I have no problem writing an
> application that can capture a sequence of images for stacking, but how
> short of an exposure will work for stacking? In my case, there could be
> 100's or 1000's of images, but will they add up to enough to see anything?
>
> Dave

Also, this is only an 8 bit greyscale camera, so I am aware that the
intensity range will only be 0-255 levels of grey.