PDA

View Full Version : Image processing software under Linux OS

Emmanuel CAPLIEZ
September 3rd 03, 12:35 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for a Image processing software under Linux OS.

Thank you for your answers.

Emmanuel CAPLIEZ

Thomas Juerges
September 3rd 03, 02:18 PM
On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 13:35:56 +0200, Emmanuel CAPLIEZ wrote:

> I'm looking for a Image processing software under Linux OS.
You are certainly looking for IRAF (http://iraf.noao.edu) or MIDAS
(http://www.eso.org). Best regards,
Thomas

Jeroen Smaal
September 3rd 03, 06:35 PM
"Emmanuel CAPLIEZ" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a Image processing software under Linux OS.
>
> Thank you for your answers.
>
> Emmanuel CAPLIEZ

The GIMP

http://www.gimp.org/

Jeroen.

David Schmenk
September 4th 03, 12:51 AM
Jeroen Smaal wrote:
> "Emmanuel CAPLIEZ" > wrote in message
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I'm looking for a Image processing software under Linux OS.
>>
>>Thank you for your answers.
>>
>>Emmanuel CAPLIEZ
>>

> The GIMP
>
> http://www.gimp.org/
>
> Jeroen.

The problem with the GIMP and astro images is that the GIMP only uses 8
bits per channel. That can truncate a lot of bits. Cinepaint (
http://cinepaint.sf.net ) keeps full 16 bits (or even floating point)
resolution. It is meant more for the film industry, is still work in
progress, and doesn't have all the GIMP plug-ins ported yet (I ported
the FITS reader/writer) but might still be worth looking into.

Dave...

David Whysong
September 9th 03, 01:36 AM
Emmanuel CAPLIEZ > wrote:
> Hello,

> I'm looking for a Image processing software under Linux OS.

> Thank you for your answers.

It's fairly technical, but you can use Perl/PDL. There are some useful
PDL programs for astronomical image processing on my web site, in the
programming section.

Dave

Have a CCD camera? Join the Amateur Deep Field collaboration!

David Whysong
DWhysong (at) physics (dot) ucsb (dot) edu
http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dwhysong -- PGP keys available
Graduate student, astrophysics group
University of California, Santa Barbara