PDA

View Full Version : Meade Pictor 416XT and Mars

Johan van der Walt
August 18th 03, 03:38 PM
I tried to image Mars last Friday night using a Meade LX200
12 inch telescope with a Meade Pictor 416XT CCD camera mounted
behind a filter (Johnson UBVRI) slider from Optec Inc.
Although it was possible to get a reasonable focus I was
disappointed that I could not see any surface features of
Mars. One could perhaps get a hint of the south pole but I
would not say that it was a success.

I shall appreciate some practical advice on how to properly
image Mars and perhaps see the surface features. Looking at
what is published by other people it seems possible. Maybe
I am doing something wrong.

Thanks

Johan van der Walt
Potchefstroom (Mars passes almost overhead!)
South Africa

Mike M. Miskulin
August 25th 03, 04:48 AM
While pondering the Universe, (Johan van der
Walt) wrote >:

>I tried to image Mars last Friday night using a Meade LX200
>12 inch telescope with a Meade Pictor 416XT CCD camera mounted
>behind a filter (Johnson UBVRI) slider from Optec Inc.
>Although it was possible to get a reasonable focus I was
>disappointed that I could not see any surface features of
>Mars. One could perhaps get a hint of the south pole but I
>would not say that it was a success.

Hmm...I had my 10" LX out this past week and was able to
make out ice cap fine, as well as general idea of 'canals'.
More like greyish green colorings, nothing detailed. Thats
per my eyesight, not wiht a camera. Seeing was only soso at
my location, the air was somewhat turbulent.

mike