PDA

View Full Version : Re: NIKON COOLPIC 9XX and Continous Imaging

Paul Hyndman
July 30th 03, 04:28 PM
You can use Nikon's MC-EU1 corded remote (they cost approximately $100US).
It will allow rapid-fire sequences up to the limit of the buffer. You may
want to fashion a strain-relief bracket, so as to prevent damage to the USB
connector.

Here's the MC-EU1 and a home-made bracket:

http://www.astro-nut.com/nikon2.jpg

Paul

--- http://www.astro-nut.com/ ---

"Jake" > wrote in message
om...
> When setup for afocal imaging when you need to take 100 shots for
> stacking: how do you take continous images without having to hold down
> the shutter button by hand (and induce vibrations)?
>
> I've tried the self-timer but it takes forever because it cancels out
> after every shot.

Jeroen Smaal
July 30th 03, 06:26 PM
"Jake" > wrote in message
om...
> When setup for afocal imaging when you need to take 100 shots for
> stacking: how do you take continous images without having to hold down
> the shutter button by hand (and induce vibrations)?
>
> I've tried the self-timer but it takes forever because it cancels out
> after every shot.

Hi,

You can do that by using a serial cable (Nikon SC-EW3) connected to your PC
and some clever software:

See here:

http://velatron.com/dca/theforce/

or this page from the same site:

http://velatron.com/dca/Personal/Setup/Laptop.htm

There's also this site which describes making your own serial cable, but it
seems to be down at the moment.

http://www.math.ualberta.ca/imaging/

On my own web site, there's a small tutorial on using a digital camera for
long exposure astrophotography.

http://www.smaal.info/astro_en/index.php/coolpix995_astro

Regards,

Jeroen

Jake
August 2nd 03, 06:14 PM
Paul & Jeroen,

Thanks for the info. I didn't know such options were possible.

In the mean-time I've fashioned a conventional cable-release with a an
elastic strap that holds it to the camera. Seems to slip off the
shutter button though. I wonder why Nikon didn't just include a
conventional cable release socket to trigger the shutter? For that
matter, why have the SLR manufacturers eschewed the cable release
socket on their auto-everything film cameras?