PDA

View Full Version : Help with Finger Lakes IMG1024S camera under Linux

Matthew McCleary
July 23rd 03, 05:51 PM
Greetings:

I am attempting to get a camera built by Finger Lakes Instruments
(www.fli-cam.com) working under Linux. The camera model is IMG1024S, and I
am running a RedHat 7.2 system with kernel 2.4.7-10. The camera interfaces
with the computer via parallel port.

My attempts to make Finger Lakes' driver, fli.o, work under Linux have
failed. I've tried both the binary supplied driver and a driver I compiled
from Finger Lakes' source code. Either driver results in communications
timeout errors (specifically, syslog reports error -62, "timer expired.")

I have been in contact with Finger Lakes' tech support people, but they have
been unable to solve my problem. I have isolated the problem to the driver
under Linux, as I have tested the camera with Finger Lakes' FLIGrab program
under Windows 2000 and the camera works flawlessly.

Is there anyone, anywhere who is using this camera successfully under Linux?
If so, could you please tell me how you succeeded? It seems Finger Lakes is
making a token effort to support Linux, but their documentation is abysmal
and tech support is slow and unknowledgeable.

I sincerely appreciate any help you can provide.

Matthew McCleary
Astronomer, MIT Lincoln Laboratory LINEAR program

Thomas Juerges
July 25th 03, 07:21 AM
Dear Matthew,

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:51:54 +0000, Matthew McCleary wrote:

> My attempts to make Finger Lakes' driver, fli.o, work under Linux have
> failed. I've tried both the binary supplied driver and a driver I
> compiled from Finger Lakes' source code. Either driver results in
> communications timeout errors (specifically, syslog reports error -62,
> "timer expired.")

If you are familiar with GNU C and make, you should try the example
program takepic which comes with the FLI development kit. Just do a make
in the lib directory to build the library and then change to the
unix/takepic directory to do a make there, too.

A run of takepic should give you a lot of information about the cam and
take an exposure if you pass arguments as appropriate, i.e. a basename
for the images taken by takepic. If you are interested in, send the
output to my email address and I'll have a closer look on it.

> Is there anyone, anywhere who is using this camera successfully under
> Linux?

Not this type of FLI cam but a different model and with USB and it works
pefectly. By the way, you are using RedHat 7.2 and it may be a
permission problem of the printer entry in /dev. But to provide you with
more help, I need more information about what happens.

> tech support is slow and unknowledgeable.

Oh, I cannot agree to this point. The library developer (Jim Moronski)
seems to me to be very kind and helpful. Best regards,
Thomas