PDA

View Full Version : Re: .jpg conversion

Chris L Peterson
July 21st 03, 10:04 PM
On 21 Jul 2003 20:55:01 GMT, "Brian Sturges" >
wrote:

>Hi all, I'd like to process images from my new Nikon Coolpix using AIP4WIN.
>Does anyone know where I can find a utility that will just convert an image
>from .jpg to .fts (or .fits)? I've been doing a search and haven't come up
>with anything. Thanks

You can do this in Photoshop and in Picture Window. AIP can also import JPEG
files directly, so you don't really need another application.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Chris L Peterson
July 21st 03, 11:00 PM
On 21 Jul 2003 21:25:50 GMT, "Brian Sturges" >
wrote:

>Thanks Chris, I'll give it another try with AIP's Universal Loader.

Nope, not that. Use the import function under File and you can bring in the JPEG
directly.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

JANEATHOME101162
August 2nd 03, 10:49 PM
you cannot convert from jpeg to fits, but if
you have the right software you can convert
from fits to jpeg/bmp ext, fits is a special format which is produced from ccd
camera's, example
starlight express HX516, which i use.
Regards Roy.

Chris L Peterson
August 2nd 03, 11:43 PM
On 02 Aug 2003 21:49:36 GMT, (JANEATHOME101162) wrote:

>you cannot convert from jpeg to fits...

Sure you can. Any program that can read JPEG and write FITS will do this, and
that's a lot of programs. JPEG files are often color, and there is no standard
way of encoding color images in FITS, so you may end up with a color FITS file
that is only read correctly by some programs. But normally it is just an issue
of the order of the three arrays, and you can split and reorder them.
Alternatively, you can split the JPEG file into separate color channels and
export a separate FITS for each.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

dennis
August 15th 03, 06:53 AM
How the headers handled when converting jpg to fits?

I have converted fits to jpg in unix for a presentation, but i was unaware
of converting back. if i convert that jpg file that i converted from fits,
will the header info be there?

Dennis J. Lamenti