PDA

View Full Version : Re: PHOTO OF THE WEEK The No-Name Galaxy

Steve Willner
July 2nd 03, 06:58 PM
In article >,
Adriano > writes:
> Everyone I know has always called it the "Needle". At least for the last
> 25 years.

Interesting. SIMBAD doesn't show any name for this galaxy, and I've
never heard it referred to by any name. Neither fact may mean very
much, though. The galaxy doesn't look much like a needle to me, at
least from the images. Anybody care to describe its visual
appearance?

I like David Knisely's suggestion "Berenice's Needle," or at least
Berenice's (something). NGC 891 is a similar edge-on galaxy.

--
Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA

bwhiting
July 2nd 03, 09:20 PM
Personally, I'm going to start calling 4565 "Berenice's hair clip...
never heard that term before, and I like it...save "the Needle"
for...... NGC-100....supposedly the thinnest galaxy in the Universe.
(although I'll probably get ragged for that one).
FWIW<
Clear Skies,
Tom Whiting

Steve Willner wrote:
> In article >,
> Adriano > writes:
>
>>Everyone I know has always called it the "Needle". At least for the last
>>25 years.
>

> Interesting. SIMBAD doesn't show any name for this galaxy, and I've
> never heard it referred to by any name. Neither fact may mean very
> much, though. The galaxy doesn't look much like a needle to me, at
> least from the images. Anybody care to describe its visual
> appearance?
>
> I like David Knisely's suggestion "Berenice's Needle," or at least
> Berenice's (something). NGC 891 is a similar edge-on galaxy.

Morris Jones
July 2nd 03, 10:19 PM
I always heard NGC 4565 as "Berenice's hairpin" ... which makes a little more
sense. It's more of a pin than a clip.

Mojo
--
Morris Jones <*>
San Rafael, CA

http://www.whiteoaks.com

Odysseus
July 3rd 03, 03:43 AM
Morris Jones wrote:

> I always heard NGC 4565 as "Berenice's hairpin" ... which makes a little more
> sense. It's more of a pin than a clip.

That seems incongrous with the appearance of the galaxy; to me
"hairpin" suggests something U-shaped, as in a "hairpin turn".

--Odysseus