PDA

View Full Version : Re: PHOTO OF THE WEEK The No-Name Galaxy

David Knisely
July 1st 03, 05:22 AM
HI there. RE: Name for NGC 4565, during the "Star Bowl" competition at
the Astronomical League National Convention a number of years ago, John
Dobson gave this one the name "Berenice's Hair Clip". I like something
like Berenice's Needle, but you get the idea. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club: http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Odysseus
July 1st 03, 07:30 PM
David Knisely wrote:

> HI there. RE: Name for NGC 4565, during the "Star Bowl" competition at
> the Astronomical League National Convention a number of years ago, John
> Dobson gave this one the name "Berenice's Hair Clip". I like something
> like Berenice's Needle, but you get the idea. Clear skies to you.

The "Hair Clip" seems anachronistic, but OTOH the galaxy doesn't much
resemble a "Comb"! According to R.H. Allen at least one early author
called Coma Berenices "the Distaff, Thread, and Woof", so beside its
visual aptness "the Needle" would fit right in.

--Odysseus